Problematic Professor

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Problematic Professor

Post by Archived Topic » Sat Dec 29, 2001 8:56 am

I am currently enrolled in an Advanced Placement Literature class on the highschool level. I seem to have a communication problem with my teacher, and as a result I have recieved an 80% on every essay I've turned in with no solid reasons why. Would you be willing to critique these papers regarding works of literature or is that too specified and involved to post here? Moreover, my writing is obviously going to be on a lower level then most of the material posted, and my style and support of details is going to be considerably undeveloped to those of you with a higher education. Basically, I'm asking if I'll be wasting your time. -Anthony
Submitted by Anthony Correale (Bann - Germany)
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Problematic Professor

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 9:10 am

(where is Bann?) English-german??
Leave it to the discretion of the participants whether THEY want to waste for you. Little tiny difference... ;-)
Reply from Jan Saudek (Marbach - Germany)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Problematic Professor

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 9:25 am

Anthony, is the basic problem your communication with your teacher or the standard of your essays? If the former, then trying to address the problems you have with the teacher will offer the best probability of a resolution, not asking for critiques.

It seems likely that a comparison of your essays with those submitted by your classmates would give a good indication of where the problem lies.

I hesitate to speak definitively for the other regular visitors here, but I doubt that very many of them would even be qualified to offer the critiques you have suggested, since this site is geared mostly to etymological rather than literary questions. Additionally, what you are asking for cannot really be provided without a detailed knowledge of what your syllabus is designed to cover, the precise level at which it is pitched, and perhaps also the teaching model being applied.

If after reflection you still feel that the most useful or appropriate way forward involves getting your work critiqued, I suggest that you either search for a suitable site on the internet or set up some kind of study/critiquing group among your fellow-pupils. The latter would have the potential advantage of boosting both your and your classmates' performance, as well as enhancing your social contact with them.

I hope this helps!
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
Post actions:

Problematic Professor

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 9:39 am

I'm american, and Bann is in the Rheinland-Pfalz area, next to Kaiserslautern. My father is stationed at the american base in Ramstein. Thank you for the suggestion Erik, as it stands however my classmates seem to offer little help, and the teacher insists he has no time to offer real help. Oddly enough the few times I've recieved and followed feedback from him he's given me a lower grade then normal. Whatever the case, I'm sure I will find another way to work it out.
Reply from Anthony Correale (Bann - Germany)
Post actions:

Problematic Professor

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 9:53 am

Anthony: I believe you are part of the Dependents School System. I cannot believe that a teacher could not make time to help you with your work. Is there a personality conflict here? Is there a guidance counselor in your school with whom you could speak privately? I would suggest that approach first and see what happens.

Reply from Leif Thorvaldson (Eatonville - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

Problematic Professor

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 10:08 am

I wish I'd received 80% on every essay I handed in. Mind you, the probability of five properly-marked essays submitted by ANY candidate each receiving exactly 80% is on most models less than one in a million. Perhaps the teacher's second step down is sticky.
Reply from Edwin Ashworth (Oldham - England)
Post actions:

Problematic Professor

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 10:22 am

Kill the teacher.
Reply from Zachary Walls (Dixon - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

Problematic Professor

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 10:37 am

I am also in an AP English class, and i wouldn't mind reading your essay(s) for curiosity's sake. It would be interesting to compare yours with others that i have read. You can email me if you like at lalaith467@yahoo.com
Reply from Keara Grady (Troy - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

Problematic Professor

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 10:51 am

Having thouroughly thought it through, I've come to realize my last suggestion, though effective, would not exactly qualify as the best course of action. If you are averaging an 80% in an AP class and for some reason are not content, you should approach the instructor. Ask him/her for suggestions as to how you may better your scores. Unless you've already taken my previous advice. If that were the case, I suggest you leave the country. Immediately.
Reply from Zachary Walls (Dixon - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

Problematic Professor

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 29, 2001 11:05 am

our ap testing starts this week, so if yours is the same, best of luck! i hope you sorted things out with your teacher.

Reply from Keara Grady (Troy - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

End of topic.