Alternative to term "War Room"

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by Archived Topic » Fri Dec 28, 2001 9:10 am

Hi, I am tyring to brainstorm a unique, up to date, and more creative name for a common meeting room area at our company where people get together to make plans and coordinate activities. Initial suggestion was "War Room", but I am thinking something more interesting ala "Mission Cotrol", etc.

Anyone have ideas?
Submitted by ( - )
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 9:25 am

In our considered opinion, anyone who would use and believe
in "brainstorming" is lacking the organ that would make this possible.
Reply from ( - )
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 9:39 am

Further, groupthink is bullshit. It is useful to the bureaucrat or leader who wishes to impose his version and making it seem like a consensus. he seeks to surround himself with " team players".
Reply from ( - )
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 9:53 am

So do either of you two have ideas on alternatives to the term "War Room"
Reply from ( - )
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 10:08 am

You're looking for glitz. what rhymes with glitz? Why not
something simple and clear like planning?
Reply from ( - )
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 10:22 am

No, as I wrote in my oringnal request, I am looking for something more unique, creative and interesting than the present term in addition to simple and clear.

You have infered I am loooking for glitz, wich is not what I am seeking. The term "Planning" does not capture what will go on in this space - there will be this plus decisions and dissemination of understanding.

Come on.....you can do better, I know you can

Reply from ( - )
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 10:37 am

If it is a meeting room then you should name it the 'black hole' or 'time trashbin', 'productivity theft room', 'sloth room', 'mud room', since 99.9% of all meetings are a huge waste of time.
Reply from ( - )
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 10:51 am

Exactly. You are correct that 99.9% of meetings ARE a waste of time because nothing happens at them. What I am asking for is a description of a place where the 0.1% of meetings which are NOT a huge waste of time take place.

Yet again, respondents are projecting what their personal feelings of the subject are, rather than demonstrating their abilities to succintly use language to capture the essence of a thought.

Well that's it, so much for the friggin "word wizzard". Not only do the persons participating in this forum demonstrate root-brain like responses to a simple question of language which indicate severe antisocial tendencies, they lack wizard-like capabilities with the use of the english language. Mia Culpa

Reply from ( - )
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 11:05 am

How about THINK TANK or THE THINK TANK.

Ken G – November 28, 2003

Reply from ( - )
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 11:20 am

As an upcoming enron type of executive ( read typical corporate low life con man sleazoid) you can't get everyone to do your work for you. Be happy that the corporate whore politicians can fool enough of the people all of the time.
Reply from ( - )
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 11:34 am

Oh, come off it you moronic clowns and get real. If it wasn’t for the great devil BUSINESS you wouldn’t be sitting in your comfortable houses on your fat asses in front of your PCs surfing the internet!

Ken G – November 28, 2003

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 11:49 am

THANK YOU KEN! for your good suggestion

As for the rest of you, stop sitting around in your underpants in front of a computer and do something meaningfull with your lives that involves interaction with other people.

Reply from ( - )
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 12:03 pm

How about "idea factory", "idea factory", "concept committee" or "congress of concepts"?

No marks for the negativism displayed by some of the other posters to this thread, who fortunately represent only a small, albeit shrill minority on this site - it's a bit like living next door to someone whose ridiculous little chihuahua can be guaranteed always to start yapping when your sprinklers come on. In other words, they are an irritating nuisance but ultimately nobody takes them seriously.
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 12:17 pm

Whoops - I meant to type "think factory" instead of the second instance of "idea factory".
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 12:32 pm

You made a mistake Erik!! but don't die is ok!!
Reply from ( - )
Post actions: