Need comments and suggestions on my translation

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by Archived Topic » Fri Dec 28, 2001 8:13 am

Hello you guys,

I am Philos from China.

I did a small Chinese-to-English translation job. It is about my school, but I am not sure if my translation is really okay. I just thought of posting my work here. I wish to hear your native speakers' comments and suggestions.

The following is part of my work:
There are currently three senior grades in the school, including 50 classes with a total of 2629 students, and a staff of 220, among whom there are three first-level master teachers teaming well up with 57 senior teachers. With the guiding principle of ¡°All for Development of Our Students¡± and based firmly upon the educational concept of ¡°Take the Road of Inner Development¡±, the school features ¡°Active Developmental Education¡± which focuses on three ¡°Self¡¯s¡±, i.e. ¡°Self-cultivate Moral Character, Self-guide Study and Self-arrange Activities¡±.

Thanks in advance

Philos from China

Submitted by ( - )
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 8:27 am

Hi Philos,

I'm sorry you had to encounter the previous postings.

Your English is not bad overall. I have rewritten your text as follows:

"There are currently three senior grades in the school comprising 50 classes with a total of 2629 students. The staff numbers 220, among them three first-level master teachers who have teamed up effectively with 57 senior teachers.

Under the guiding principle of ‘Everything [or ‘Everyone’, depending on the meaning of the original text] for promoting the development of our students’, which is firmly based on the educational concept of ‘taking the road of inner development’, the school features so-called ‘active developmental education’. This focuses on three ‘Selfs’, i.e. ‘Self-cultivation of moral character’, ‘Self-guided study’ and ‘Self-arranged activities’."

Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 8:41 am

Hi Erik Kowal,

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. I was not sure about wheter to use the imperative or verb -ing form to follow the "concept of" phrase and three "self's". Actually in my first draft I used "taking the road..." and thought of using "Self-cultivation of moral character¡¯, Self-guided study¡¯ and ¡®Self-arranged activities", but on a second thought, I was convinced that I should use the imperative to talk about a slogan-like policy.

Well, thanks to your corrections, now I know it was not the way native speakers phrase things.

I guess my grammar needs more improvements to enhance my language feeling.

Thanks again!

Oh, about that previous posting, it's okay with me. I guess people have to compain about things they dislike.

P.S.: Dear Erik Kowal, is it okay if I send a Chinese postcard to you as a token of my thanks.

Reply from ( - )
Post actions:

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 8:56 am

I find it very frustrating I cannot correct the grammatical mistakes of my previous postings directly on the original.

Any suggestions?

Philos
Reply from ( - )
Post actions:

End of topic.