Practical Training

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Practical Training

Post by Archived Topic » Fri Dec 28, 2001 7:15 am

hi, I studied at a english language high school, but since i have been studing in Germany (in german) for the last 3 years I did not use english much and have become a bit rusty. This is a letter to Boeing and i am looking to do practical training there. I am not sure how to end it. thank you for your help in advance.

Philip (Darmstadt, Germany)

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am currently a student at the University of Applied Science Darmstadt, Germany. In order to acquire my Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, the university requires me to complete at least one semester of Practical Training in an IT related Field at a Company of my choice. I feel that this is a great opportunity to make a smooth transition into working life possible. It is a great wish of mine to do this training overseas, preferably in North America. Boeing would be a great fit for me since it would give me the opportunity to experience a wide spectrum of computer aided manufacturing and planning. To experience the workings of a multinational company would be both impressive and a great learning experience. Plus I am looking forward to visiting the beautiful city of Seattle.

I have always known that I would like to work in different countries. I left Germany at the ago of 11 to live and study in Bangkok, Thailand. There I went to an English Language School, where I graduated and gained the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma in August 2000. I always look back in joy at my time in Thailand. The school gave me the opportunity to truly study in a international society along side 50 other Nationalities. I then returned to Germany where I decided to study my field of interest, Computer Science.

I worked for Nortel Networks Germany between September 2000 and May 2001. There I enjoyed training in Teamwork, Networks and Stress Management. During the time at the University Darmstadt I gained programming skills in C/C++, Software Engineering, Databanks, Business Administration and many more. I am looking forward to broadening my horizon further at your company.

The University of Applied Science feels it is important to gain practical experience, and work experience. During the course of the practical training I will be supervised by two of my Professors. They will guide me and help me with problems I come across. I will have to send them regular reports about my progress. The university is not restrictive about the work the students do. Their only requirements are that it must be productive and beneficial to all parties. The professors are flexible but will uphold the high standards of the University.

Best regards,

Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Practical Training

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 7:29 am

Actually your English is not at all bad - in fact, it is very good indeed for someone who has never lived in an English-speaking country, as I infer to be the case.

I only spotted a couple of things that I would change: 1) "I always look back _with joy on_..." [rather than "..._in joy at_..." ]; 2) you have a tendency to use initial capital letters where they are unnecessary, such as for subject names or in 'field' and 'company', as in "...an IT related Field at a Company...". Have a good look through your entire document for this particular quirk of usage, as there are quite a few occurrences of it.

You have not asked for comments on the actual content of your letter, but I feel I should mention that while you have described your general academic background and professional experience, no single aspect of it stands out as indicating what particular skill or strength you have to offer to in order to convince Boeing that it should take you on. Your letter is so general that it is impossible to work out exactly what kind of role you envisage for yourself. For instance, what particular programming language do you _excel_ in? Are your abilities better suited to developing or implementing (etc.)?

Also, is the company taking on any work experience candidates at all at the present time? Due to the general slump in the airline industry, aircraft manufacturers all over the world have been slashing manufacturing capacity and jobs. It seems possible to me that you will need to look outside this sector of the economy to gain the experience you are seeking. Incidentally, Boeing has other plants than in the Seattle area - you might need to research the locations of these too and decide whether you are willing to work there instead (and if not, say so). You should also exactly state when you will be wanting your overseas placement, and for how long ('semester' is too vague), as your letter fails to indicate this.

Anyway, as regards finishing off your letter, it seems to me that all that is necessary is something like "I would be very grateful if you could assess whether my background and training so far match any of your anticipated requirements. Please contact me at [address/email address] or on [phone number]".

Good luck!
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Practical Training

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 7:44 am

thank you for your help.
I will also send similar letters to other companies.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Practical Training

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 7:58 am

Philip, I'd like you to know that many graduates of US institutions of higher learning would be unable to compose such a fine letter in English, never mind in a second language. Good luck getting to Seattle !
CD in MA
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC