Complaint letter about sexual harassment

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by Archived Topic » Thu Dec 27, 2001 10:22 pm

Hi! I am writing a complaint letter about sexual harassment. Could anyone have a proofread my letter.

Principal of the University XXX,

I am the student of the xx course diploma and complaining about the lecturer of the xx course, Mr. A He had done something made me feel discomfort. Let me explain the situation that occurred to me two days ago.

It was the last day of this subject. Before Mr.A passed the exam paper to us,he approached to me and gave me his name card and asked my phone number. Then he said if I had any problems about the exam or the academic issues, I could contact him any time. Then he went back to his desk and wrote down his phone number on the white board. He also asked every student to contact him if they had any questions about the exam. At this moment, I felt I had the honor because I was the only student got his name card.

When I finished the paper, it was one hour earlier than the allowed time. As I was leaving, he asked me when did I leave my office? I told him that it depended on the situation, sometimes at 6:00, sometimes at 6:30. Then he asked me to call him at 10:00pm on Tuesday.

I called him at 9:55 yesterday night. He told me that he had come home for almost half an hour. Then he asked me to guess how many marks I had got. I was so confident and told him 80. But he told me that I had made 36 mistakes in Part One, 2 mistakes in Part Two and 3 mistakes in Part 3. He also told me something about his private things, such as he had to attend 16 hours of class in another university and was living alone, what he had as dinner is instant noodles because he is single ( imply ).He also said that he guessed I am 26. After these conversations, he asked me if I wanted to see the paper or not. I said that you were going to fax me. He said the paper would not give to students and asked me to go out tomorrow night if I wanted to see the paper. At this moment, I refused him. Then he said if I wanted to, he could allow me to do the paper again. I said it was unfair to other students. He said there is nothing fair in the world and allowed me to do the paper again but I refused him. He asked again if I really want to see the paper. I said yes and asked him to copy the Part One for me and handed it over to me next week because he had another lession in class B. As I am the student of Class A. He said that anyone would know when he handed it over to me. I said you could fold it up, so that nobody could see it. Then he accepted. Before he hanged up the phone, he said I could call him anytime and he would call me.

So what do you think about this lecturer? Since I have attended many classes after my post-secondary education, I never heard that any lecturer / teacher allowed students to do any exam again without the permission from the administrative department. I realized that this behavior is incorrect. How can a lecturer permit a student to cheat openly? And asked a student to go out at night to do such thing? What do you think about this behavior?

Yours sincerely,

Student of Class A ( XX diploma )

Snowman
29/10/03

Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 10:37 pm

I think, in your message, there are more than one of you that needs psychiatric help. Write to Dr Phil, or call 911.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 10:51 pm

Dear Snowman,
Although there are too many errors in your grammar to correct here, your real problem is still very clear. You should not be tolerating this kind of treatment. I don't know where you are attending college. In the United States, this professor would be out of a job. I suggest you collect all evidence such as any phone calls on your machine , written messages and your test papers. Start at your student health center and see where they direct you. Keep track of any witnesses to this professor's behavior. And have no more contact with this man ! Good luck.
CD in MA
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 11:05 pm

Dear Snowman, I agree with the previous respondent. There are many small errors in your English, but I don’t think these really detract that much from your message, which comes through loud and clear – this character’s behavior was outrageous and should not go unpunished. I’d do as was suggested above and would also send your letter to someone such as a dean as quickly as possible. The facts speak for themselves in this instance and I don’t think you should have to be overly concerned about producing an extremely polished product.

Ken G – November 1, 2003

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 11:20 pm

Hi! Thanks for everyone. I have the latest news about Mr.A. Last Saturday when I arrived at school, I was thinking about that should I walked in his classroom directly or asked him about the copy of the exam paper after the class. Because Class room B is in the front of the corridor and my class room is at the end of the corridor. When I passed Class room B, Mr A was talking with one of my classmates. At that moment, I told him that I would come later. Then he called my name and handed me the copy of the exam paper and said " Keep the secret between us." I was so scared. Because I didn't know what secert he referred to. What will happen if other students heard what he said to me? What secret??? When I went back to my class room and open the paper, there was a letter. The content of the letter is :

Mss snowman,

First paragraph : talking something about that I was so careless in doing the exam paper.

Second paragraph : He said he is writing something about why the office ladies keeping studying after work and I was supposed to be interviewed for this issues. ( He is a editor of a loca newspaper ) But when he knew that I have been working for about 10 years, he felt surprised because he thought I have graduated form secondary school for about 2 to 3 years. Actually my appearance looks younger than actually I am. So he gave up this interview.

Third paragraph : He said I could call him any time whenever I had enquiries about the acadamic issues.

I won't call him or answer his phone call in the future. Because I thought Mr. A's behavor was not acceptable whatever what he said is true.

Snowman,

03/11/03
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 11:34 pm

One obvious correction is to substitute "lecher" for "lecturer". And surely the use of good grammar is just comma sense. EA
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 11:49 pm

The professor side of the story is that you told him you would do anything for a better grade and flashed him with no
underwear to show you were serious, but in doing so you revealed a chancre, which caused him to throw you out.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 12:03 am

Some high schooler is pulling your chains. What university has a PRINCIPAL?
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 12:17 am

Right, universities have no principals nor does it have morals.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 12:32 am

principles
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 12:46 am

thank you
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 1:01 am

Was the professor's defense upheld? The suspense is killing us.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 1:15 am

Sorry hun...your story is not credible...

Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 1:29 am

No. He wrote his defense on his John Thomas, and the barrister said it just wouldn't stand up in court.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 28, 2001 1:58 am

When it was revealed that she had said "sock it to me", her case collapsed.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS