please let me stay for another month without paying

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by Archived Topic » Thu Dec 27, 2001 5:05 pm

Dear Mrs Jones,
I really do not appreciate the way you almost barged into the flat yesterday asking for rent.
You know I am out of work and have no money right now. I have told you again and again that I am looking for a job and I will pay you back as soon as possible.
Also I do not like the way you hang about in the hall when I get home as if you are trying to trap me. It is like a spider.
Look just klet me get myself sorted out and you will get all your rent. Just asking me all the time adds to my stress and makes it even harder for me to find something.
So please give me a break.
I would like to stay for another month without rent if that is OK but I will pay you back - if you like I will give you interest.
Yours truly
Mary Willis
Submitted by mary willis (manchester - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 5:20 pm

Mary, this letter has all the essential points but it is a bit abrupt - and frankly rude. It also gives the impression that you are demanding that your landlady do you a favour.
How about starting with the key request (about the extra month without rent)?
Reply from jim ransom (London - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 5:34 pm

Mary, I feel your basic approach is sound, but lacks force. I suggest the following:

Dear Mrs Jones,

I think it’s time we got something straight here, you money-grubbing capitalist. I am an oppressed worker made jobless by the blind, insensate workings of the inexorable global marketplace, and you are seeking to bleed me dry of cash that I don’t have merely so that you can squander it on unnecessary luxuries like bread, electricity and your children’s footwear.

Have some compassion, for pity’s sake, and give over hovering around me like a vulture waiting for tomorrow’s meal to croak. I don’t _have_ the rent for this month, last month or next month! So stop creeping around your own property like an unemployed lout hanging round the back door of a snooker club, and let me carry on living in my garret rent-free while I continue my futile attempts to con some worthless employer into bestowing on me the noble dignity of a job as a cobble sweeper or widget fettler. Assuming I succeed, I’ll start repaying you as fast as my lowly wage allows. Why don’t you add some interest while you’re at it? Join the loan-shark racket!

Best wishes,

Mary Willis

Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 5:49 pm

To Mrs Jones! To paraphrase a Hermits' song: "Mrs. Jones you've got lousy free-loader!" I would throw the baggage out. Capitalists Unite! Support your local landlord!

Leif, WA, USA
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:03 pm

Capitalists unite?? Please... "Workers of The World Unite".. That makes sense. Capitalist MUST always compete when the supply is greater than the demand. Workers unite to secure liberties or to provoke revolution. Capitalists may only unite to secure a good price when demand is greater than supply.. but even then their interests are always in conflict.

Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:17 pm

I am going to forward this letter to George Thorogood. If he decides to use it as lyrics to "One Bourbon, One Shot and One Beer--The Sequel", I will advance you a percentage of the royalties.
Reply from Fred Siko (florence - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC