College Grade Grievance; Prerequisite for entry into program

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by Archived Topic » Thu Dec 27, 2001 1:15 pm

Dear Nursing Department Committee,

I am writing to petition for a grade change for Summer 2003 Introduction to Nursing Research. I believe that the grade I received is not reflective of the amount of time and effort that I put into the course. As this is a prerequisite for entry into the BSN Bridge program, the failure of this class will delay my studies by a year.

Admittedly, I had to make a difficult choice by taking vacation concurrently with the course, but I felt I would be able to accomplish the work. My education is my first priority and means everything to me, however I had had the vacation planned for a year in advance, due to constraints of employment and ticketing. I had been assured that I would have Internet access at the condominium where we were staying. Nevertheless, regardless what I tried, I could not procure access, whether at the condominium or the local university. I know I made a big mistake in relying on that ability. I have learned some important lessons this semester.
During my absence, my groupmates resolved to give me 20% of the points for participation. Nevertheless, when I returned, I continued the course with the full intention of giving it my best and passing. My individual work merited excellent, passing grades. My course grade rested upon the grade for the final project. The final group project demanded much labor and time, which I freely gave despite any scheduling difficulties. I was eager to participate with my groupmates and to contribute 100% in order to make up for my time being gone. I helped to establish the topic and structure of the final project. I performed and provided key information. I executed the videography and edited the project. It required numerous hours of my time, but I was more than happy to contribute to my group’s concluding presentation. The final project was deemed to receive 100%, however I was only given 67% of the possible points.

On August 22, 2003, I discussed my final course grade with the instructor, KR. In an email she stated that the final project had merited 100% but that the score on blackboard would reflect the group consensus average. Blackboard showed that I had received 67%. However, when I emailed my groupmates, Three out of four stated that they had given me 100% of points. The fourth stated that she didn’t understand how I could fail given the amount of effort I had put into the final project. The syllabus is at best unclear of how grades are affected by group consensus, and my groupmates stated that they didn’t understand the grading either. However, had I received the full points for the final project, as my groupmates did, I would have passed the course.

It is my intention to further my education and I would like very much for B State University to be part of that process. I value my education a great deal, it is not something that I take lightly. I am positive that won’t stumble into the same scheduling problems as before. Please allow me the opportunity to regain my academic standing by reinstating and allowing me to continue with the pursuit of my BSN.

Respectfully,

Matthew Silvers

Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 1:29 pm

Hi, Matthew. I am of divided opinion about this. From my own experience at University, I was not given any dispensation for missing a lecture class due to necessary medical treatment. I had talked with the lecturer and he said his course was primarily given in the lectures with ancillary reading material. I passed the course, but it took a lot of creative, intuitive answers (bullshitting) on the written final the only test given.

You state your education was/is your priority, but you go poncing off on a vacation. That is where your argument goes to hell. You deliberately chose it over your education. Your letter is well written for the most part, but is too long. It could be shortened up and not be a "stream of conscious" whining. Sorry if I am not more sympathetic to you, but you lit the fuse of your own petard.

Leif, WA, USA

P.S. This may have come too late to be of any help. It would be of interest to know whether you succeeded in this effort.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 1:44 pm

The problem is not how you are saying what you are saying, it's what you are saying. The committee will no doubt see this situation just as Leif does, you wanting to have fun more than educate yourself. So there is only one possible solution. You must lie. Instead of telling them you took a vacation, give them an explanation that keeps you out of the blame. I recommend telling them you were ambushd in your sleep, blindfolded, beaten half to death, and woke up in the middle of Mexico with no money.
Reply from Zachary Walls (Dixon - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC