SCHOOL'S IN SESSION

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

SCHOOL'S IN SESSION

Post by Archived Topic » Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:29 am

Dear Wordwizards,

Please help me with an apostrophe question.

SCHOOL'S IN SESSION

SCHOOL'S IN SESSION was a recent newspaper headline.

Is this an incorrect usage of the apostrophe?
Is this a slang usage of the apostrophe?
Is the correct English grammer SCHOOL IS IN SESSION without any apostrophe?ua
Does SCHOOL'S IN SESSION mean anything in the English language?

Thank you,
Vicki
Ohio

Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

SCHOOL'S IN SESSION

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:44 am

Hi Vicki,

I feel your question would have been better asked in the Clubhouse. However, I will respond.

The headline is perfectly correct grammatically. While the apostrophe tends not to be used very much in formal written speech, headline writers can get away with it because everyone understands their desire to squeeze as many words as possible into the minimum of space.

I don't understand what you are getting at in your question "Does SCHOOL'S IN SESSION mean anything in the English language?" Of course it does - it means that schools have reopened (or possibly a particular school, depending on what the newspaper story was writing about).
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

SCHOOL'S IN SESSION

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:58 am

"School's in session" is a contraction of "school is in session," as Erik pointed out. I think I see where your confusion is coming from, though. Headlines usually do not contain any form of the verb "to be," so the headline should probably have been "school in session" or, if referring to multiple schools, "schools in session." From reading newspapers for many years, you knew something was wrong, but you just weren't sure what it was. Those are my thoughts, anyway.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

SCHOOL'S IN SESSION

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 8:13 am

Sorry again; that didn't work either. Perhaps this entry will have my signature information on it.
Reply from E. Stice (Kansas City - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

SCHOOL'S IN SESSION

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 8:27 am

To put more simply: "If they did not use the apostrophe it would be an incomplete sentence."

Example: "Schools in session" An incomplete sentence. It would have to be: "Schools are in session." All in all, it's a bad headline because they are talking about more than one school.

No, I'm no expert.

Al of Rhode Island
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC