I Need to send this as soon as possible

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by Archived Topic » Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:32 am

I wrote a note asking for help only a few days ago, and although I know It's not your obligation to help me out, I would be very thankful if you do.
This is a very important letter to me. If I send it soon I might be able to get back to university.
Anyway, I hope somebody can help me out with this... Thank you in advance.
Andrea.
Basically I have no idea how to write my letter, what I need to ask is the following:

wether im allowed to sit for the exams although i haven't been a regular student.

I am not sure if I should explain the reason... I've been away of the country for a long time.

What are the possible dates

Which one is my actual situation in university.

=)

Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:46 am

Dear Andrea,

Unfortunately, on the basis of the request you have presented for rewriting it seems unlikely to me that you are actually ready to return to university.

Perhaps you composed your queries in a great hurry and without first checking what you wrote before posting them, but if so, the fact that you were in a last-minute rush itself seems indicative of something amiss. At any rate, there are a number of grammatical and other presentational errors in your queries (specifically, "away of the country"; misspelling of 'whether'; missing question marks; and wayward capitalisation). Additionally, your points are incoherently set out and lack any arguments of substance which might help to persuade the university authorities to grant your request. Altogether you show little awareness of the needs of your audience, either at the university or among those you have asked for help with drafting your letter. In fact, it is not even clear whom you think your letter should be addressed to - your course lecturer, your head of department, the university admissions office, or the examining body.

If this is typical of your standard of writing you need to give your English communication skills some concentrated attention before resuming your studies proper. Indeed it seems odd that as a (former, at least) university student you should be having such difficulty writing a simple letter like this (even to the point of saying about your request, "I am not sure if I should explain the reason"), or simply picking up the phone and speaking to the relevant office. Again, the fact that you seem unable to manage either of these things suggests to me that you are not yet ready to resume your studies.

I'm sorry if this response seems harsh, but unless I have a greatly mistaken impression of your situation (about which you have said almost nothing concrete) it would be a waste of your time, effort and money to pursue your studies further until you are truly prepared for them. As your next step, I would recommend that you discuss your situation frankly with a mature adult in whose judgement you have confidence, or else get in touch with a student advisor or counsellor at the university concerning your options.

Whatever course you take, don't forget that it is you who will ultimately have to take responsibility for the outcome, using your own best judgement in making the decisions that lie along the way.
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:01 am

Right! So where did you go wrong , great giver of wisdom?
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:15 am

and don't forget special delivery.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC