Memo to inform co-worker on intent of filing formal complain

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by Archived Topic » Thu Dec 27, 2001 5:20 am

On 6/13/03, you called me and stated that you were told that I was suspose to send a training curricullim to the auditor in Albany. I related to you that I never received any memo or anything in writing requesting or directing me to do so. You called me a liar and was yelling, screaming and talking loud on the phone. I did not appreciate your tone of voice and I felt you were very unprofessional by the way you spoke to me. I told you this over the phone and I am informing you that I will be making a formal complaint.
Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 5:34 am

First of all, I suggest you don't rush into this under the immediate influence of your hurt feelings. Weigh up the possible consequences all round, both short-term and long-term, personal and professional, of filing a formal complaint. This would be especially prudent if the grievance procedure is lengthy and complicated - make sure the circumstances are serious enough to justify all the angst. Perhaps you might be able to discuss the episode with your co-worker in a few days' time, when you have both cooled off and are in a more constructive frame of mind. You too might have been unreasonable or been short-tempered - only you can decide this, but a few days to think about it will clarify it.

However, assuming you are intent on making a complaint, why are you informing your co-worker that you will be doing so? The complaints procedure will presumably replace any informal resolution of the situation between you, so unless your intention is to deliberately intimidate or antagonise your co-worker beforehand, I would just go ahead and file the complaint, making sure that you carefully follow your company's grievance procedure.

When you draft your complaint you will need to demonstrate that your colleague's behaviour is in clear breach of your company rulebook or code of conduct. So keep your allegations focused and don't make any general accusations which you can't back up - if you do, they will rebound on you. Bear in mind the possibility that your colleague might be allowed to behave in a way which you find upsetting but is not forbidden by your company code of conduct - the simple giving of offence is not always governed by company rules.

If possible, try to ensure that you will be able to back up your allegations with contemporaneous notes and statements from anyone who witnessed the scene.

Lastly, before deciding what to do next you might find it helpful to discuss the situation with a union representative, if possible. They would be able to explore the situation reasonably objectively, and using their experience and expertise from similar cases they should be able to form a pretty good idea of the merits of your case, and be able to advise you accordingly.

If you do go ahead and file a complaint, they might also help you to draft it. At the very least it should be checked over for grammatical and spelling errors by someone whose ability in English you trust, and whose discretion you can rely on. There are several errors in the text you have presented here:

1) 'Curricullim' should be 'curriculum';
2) 'Suspose' should be 'supposed';
3) '...was yelling, screaming and talking loud...' should be '...were yelling, screaming and talking loudly...';
4) '...by the way you spoke to me' should be 'in the way you spoke to me'.

I hope this helps.

Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 27, 2001 5:49 am

The no-name sure knows how to tweak people.

But no matter, Erik that was a nice job.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC