Help needed

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Help needed

Post by Archived Topic » Wed Dec 26, 2001 1:44 pm

I have been trying for ages to write my friend a letter. We have been friends since we were 5. I moved to a different country when I was 10, we wrote each other for several years but unfortunately lost contact in our late teens, a couple of years ago I decided to track her down and by pure coincidence found her.....we have now been chatting and E-mailing each other for about 1 year now. None of us have written by "snail mail" except for christmas cards and I think its about time we started using our pens again...my problem is how do I start a letter to her that doesn´t feel like it´s coming from a total stranger she´s chatted with on the internet? Maybe a few good tips on what NOT to write about.

Liza, Denmark
Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Help needed

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Dec 26, 2001 1:58 pm

Why not send her some high-quality photos of yourself, family, pets etc? Your letter might describe the circumstances in which they were taken.

I would not worry about the change of medium. You have known each other a very long time, after all.
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Help needed

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Dec 26, 2001 2:13 pm

Assume for a moment that her name is "Kay".

Try something like:
Hey Kay,
How's things?

Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Help needed

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Dec 26, 2001 2:27 pm

Assume her name is Kay. Start:

Kay; (use semi colon if loose friends, if closer,
use comma.

Kay,
I'm so happy we've made contact again, I sure missed you. Just the other day, I was thinking of all the things we did together blab, blab, blab ... etc.

Al of Rhode Island

Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Help needed

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Dec 26, 2001 2:41 pm

"How's things?"
As in "How is things?"
Please. Tell me you're not American.
Reply from Zachary Walls (Dixon - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC