Page 1 of 1

my ex owes me child support money

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2001 10:51 am
by Archived Topic
Please help me write a letter to my ex. He owes me child support money. I just want to gently remind him that the money is for his daughter and what the repercutions are when you don't pay your child support.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Submitted by ( - )

my ex owes me child support money

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2001 11:05 am
by Archived Reply
Dear "X,"

This is just a reminder that you have not made your support payment for our child. Failure to do so can cause unfortunate consequences involving the law. I certainly don't wish to initiate such action, but will have to for our child's sake.



You might want to include the child's name instead of using "our child" in the letter.
Reply from ( - )

my ex owes me child support money

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2001 11:20 am
by Archived Reply
I hope this gets to you in time (although it probably hasn't...sorry, just joined today), but before you write that first word, find out what the laws are in your state re: child support. This isn't to say that you will have to USE these laws against him (he just may be a flaky guy, and simply needs a case scenario), but, your state may have weird laws against this kind of contact depending on your divorce agreement.

However, there are a few general rules to keep in mind if you do decide to make this contact:

1)Remember what "Mom" always said, "You can catch more flies with honey then you can with vinegar." Guys are like this too. A gentle reminder of how he cares for his daughter along with a simple list of needs (ie: uniforms for school, scouts, food, etc.) that you are having difficulty meeting due to lack of funds will go a lot further then "Hey jerk, pay us the money or I will SUE!"

2) Remember, this is not about you NOR your ex-husband, it is about getting what your daughter needs. Keep the emphasis on that instead of any past grudges you may bear.

3) If, and ONLY if you are truly desperate for the funds would I bring up potential consequences at the END of the letter (not the beginning, soften him up first) by saying something like: "I'm sure this has slipped your mind, but I'd rather keep this civil then to see you get your wages garnished."

IF this letter doesn't bring any response, I would then go to a lawyer or social worker (depending on where you live) and then let them deal with it. Sometimes you just have to let the professionals take over.

Good luck.
Reply from Brigitta McGregor (La Place - U.S.A.)