What part of speech should be used to start a sentence when

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by Archived Topic » Wed Dec 26, 2001 8:13 am

Hi! I have some problems in writing a quotation. What part of speech should be used to start a sentence? Sometime I just started it with Noun others I started with Infinitive in some occasions. In fact, I have read some books which say balancing and consistent about writing a sentence. For example, there are more than 10 items in the quotation, if I use the Noun to start the sentence in the first item, should I start the rest of the items with Noun. or can I start it with Verb or Infinitive.

Suppose the following items are belonged to a single quotation, please check the problems.

1. Air-conditioner cleaning.
2. Supply & installation of stainless steel canopy at the roof.
3. Renovation of all the skirtings and wardrobes and repaint them with semi-gloss paint.
4. Repaint the master room ceiling with ICI emulsion paint.
5. Mend the wallpaper at the dinning room.
6. Scaffolding construction from 12/F to 13/F.
7. 3'"clear temper glass aluminum sliding door at the roof floor.
8. Wiring cable, install three door contacts and connect two existing alarm systems.
9. Lamp positining at the ceiling.
10. Brick wall establishment ( 150mm x 7500mm x 2300mm ) with one side covered with mosaic stone.

Thanks
Snowman

Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Dec 26, 2001 8:27 am

Just remember, Billy Bob Thornton's first script, was barely readable, horrible grammar, and still needs a full editor. But his character's have been facinating, and his story lines brillant, original, and captivating. Another words, not all perfect writers, can write a genius screenplay.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Dec 26, 2001 8:41 am

Whoever tendered the query (and the critticyzm) really need more acquaintance with sentences. May I suggest ten years at Levenworth, or eleven....AE

Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Dec 26, 2001 8:56 am

Oh!! You mean you are quoting some sort of repair work... I thought the question was about quoting someone else's writing or speech.

I don't think it matters as long as all of your statements are parallel.

I think for a quote I'd start the statements with the verbs as you have done in 4 & 5, because you are largely providing the ACTION, not the OBJECT.

1. Clean air conditioner.
2. Supply and install stainless...
3. Renovate ...
Reply from Elaine Lohroff (Speedway - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Dec 26, 2001 9:10 am

You also had me confused. I agree with the lady above. You should begin with verbs. It is much easier to understand, as well as being consistent.

Reply from Ann Humphreys (Charleston - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC