Request for medical information

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by Archived Topic » Wed Dec 26, 2001 12:46 am

Dear Director:

I am an 8th grade student at Marine View Middle School in Huntington Beach, California. For my Honors Literature/Language Arts class, I’m working on a research paper and visual presentation about brain tumors,
and am need for more information.

My presentation will include a written report on my subject, a panel presentation, and a PowerPoint presentation. If you would like I could send to you my PowerPoint presentation on a CD for your viewing enjoyment.

If you could send me information sometime before October 17th, that would be wonderful. Anything you can send would be helpful. Thank you for your time and concern.

Jill Story

Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Dec 26, 2001 1:01 am

Grammatically this seems basically fine. The only thing that needs to be changed is 'and am need for more information', which should read 'and would like more information'.

You really should specify what kind of information you are after, however, and at what level of detail, since your request is so vague that you risk getting either this very same request for clarification, or being ignored entirely.

I would also suggest that you ask for the Director's suggestions about where you could obtain some of this information yourself so that it will not appear to him that you are in effect asking him to do your homework for you. (Have you tried entering the phrase "brain tumor" into a search engine like Google, for instance? I promise you will not be disappointed! Incidentally, 'tumor' is spelt 'tumour' in British English - for comprehensive results, try the search using this spelling also.)
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC