Thanking someone for thanking us

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by Archived Topic » Tue Dec 25, 2001 8:56 pm

I am really unsure how to make a standard thanking you for thanking us letter. I have no idea where to start. I work for a nationwide non-profit conservation organization who receives a plethora of letters thanking us for our help. I would like to respond to their letters in a professional yet sincere letter which would let them know that we not only received their letter but also that we cared enough to respond. Any help would be graciously appreciated.
Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Dec 25, 2001 9:10 pm

Here is what I have so far.
For the past 45 years, the (organization)has strived to give back to the land, community, and its members. In its second year, the (my branch of the organization)is now beginning to find its place as yet another outlet to be utilized by communities who are in need of our voluntary services. By supporting our program and its efforts, you have brought us one step closer to achieving our nationwide goal of changing lives through service to nature. You have further motivated our volunteers to continue in their quest of helping others by showing your appreciation for our program and its members. The entire (organization)would like to take this time to sincerely thank you for all you have done. You have shown us that our work has in fact made a difference in the lives of others.

Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Dec 25, 2001 9:25 pm

I think the trick here is to keep it short and simple but to incorporate one or two project-specific details. This minimises the degree of individual tailoring required without being 100% boilerplate copy, and also avoids falling into the trap of appearing verbose or obsequious. I don’t think this kind of letter needs to describe your organization or its goals, since it can be assumed that the client organization already knows as much as it needs to in this regard.

Perhaps something along these lines:

------------------------------------------------------

Dear [letter writer],

Thank you for your kind letter of appreciation. I would like to let you know that we too value our recent co-operation in [activity].

I can speak for [name of conservation organization] when I say that by taking part in our program you have helped us towards our own nationwide goal of changing people’s lives positively through service to nature – not least by keeping our volunteers motivated to help others – and we would like to thank you sincerely for your efforts and participation. You have shown us that we have indeed been able to make a difference in others’ lives.

We wish you continued success in your further endeavors.

Best wishes,

[your name]
[your title in the organization]
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC