English

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

English

Post by Archived Topic » Fri Dec 21, 2001 2:13 am

Hallo, I doing my homework, now! Shit!
Submitted by ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

English

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 21, 2001 2:27 am

Dear (-)
Before we tackle the style of your writing let's deal with basic sentence structure. Replace "I doing" with "I am doing" and suddenly you have the beginning of an actual English sentence.
As for the word "now", it seems unclear what you are implying by this. Perhaps you could devote the next sentence to elaborating on this issue, e.g. "It is due tomorrow morning and I have left it very late." or "It's only due on Friday, aren't I a goody two-shoes?"
The salutation is a little bare, but possibly you are on very intimate terms with the person to whom you are addressing this letter, in which case a mere "Hallo" (usually spelled "hello", but I'm sure you already knew that) may be sufficient instead of the more usual combination of "Dear" + name.
The expletive with which you have very abruptly ended your letter leads me to believe that it is more likely that you are late with your homework rather than early, but I would highly recommend that you replace it with a sentence explaining the situation, in order to avoid misunderstanding and also to avoid offending the recipient.
End your letter with "Yours sincerely" and sign your name at the bottom - this custom is very helpful for recipients of letters so that they can know who it is that wrote to them.
Reply from Meirav Barkan (London - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

English

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 21, 2001 2:41 am

Excellent advice, Meirav. I don't think anyone could have put it better! ;¬)
Reply from Erik Kowal (Reading - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

English

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 21, 2001 2:56 am

Why thank you Sir Erik. *blush*
Reply from Meirav Barkan (London - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC