spider movement

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

spider movement

Post by Archived Topic » Thu Dec 20, 2001 6:03 am

I just want a word that decribes the movement of a spider. The ones I currently know are totally inadequate. I've tried some new ones: sinistriding, menacading, malevalancing, but they seem awkward. Any suggestions?
Submitted by Marie Toth (Sydney - Australia)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

spider movement

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 20, 2001 6:17 am

Try posting this query in the Clubhouse section and you will very probably get a reply - there are some very knowledgeable people there with amazing vocabs.
Reply from Meirav Barkan (London - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

spider movement

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 20, 2001 6:32 am

Octocreeping?
Reply from Erik Kowal (Reading - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

spider movement

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 20, 2001 6:46 am

Isn't octocreeping that suction cup thingy octopi do when climbing out of an aquarium? Actually spiders can do alot of interesting things from eskittering (a fast scamper usually when being chased by a human with a kleenex), the above mentioned octocreeping (when crawling out from behind something in the bathroom with intention to bite someone who is severly compromised by their state of undress), arachnidarting (that last run before a jumping spider takes off to land on you), to omniprowl (a predatorial hunting move, sometimes even used on bugs already netted). - More later! Thanks, this is fun!
Reply from Sabine Harmann (Elkhorn, WI - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

spider movement

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 20, 2001 7:01 am

Watching spiders in the sink and tootling across the floor late at night they definately scklitter: as in skittering and scatter. That slow longlegged knees bent determined walk they do when you know they have a certain place to go is definately like a pedaling. How about Octopedaling?

Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

spider movement

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 20, 2001 7:15 am

i think that all of you are very weird, but interesting never the less! Hope you find an awesome word to complete the search! Good luck!
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC