help

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

help

Post by digitalen » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:00 pm

Is there a slight difference in meaning between "1" and "2"?
1. Will you help me (to) do this?
2. Will you help me (in) doing this?
Post actions:

Re: help

Post by Phil White » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:18 pm

In normal speech, the first option (with or without the "to") is usual.

You will rarely hear option 2 (with or without the "in").

I can't quite put my finger on the difference, but a different example helps a little:
  1. Can you help me fill in this form?
  2. Can you help me filling in this form?
If there is a difference, it is very subtle. I think the second option suggests that the speaker is a) already filling in the form or planning to do so shortly and b) will essentially be doing the work himself/herself.

The first option, on the other hand, does not necessarily suggest that the speaker is currently filling in the form or is about to do so (although it does not preclude that being the case). He/she may be asking for help at some time in the future. Also, there is a slight suggestion that the speaker requires a greater level of active help than in the second case, but I may be wrong about that.

Either way, the first option with the bare infinitive all the "to" infinitive will never sound wrong. The second option may well sound peculiar at times..
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

End of topic.