go/get

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

go/get

Post by digitalen » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:08 pm

Is there a subtle difference in meaning between "1" and "2"?
If so, I would like to know the difference.
1. I didn't go to bed last night until 2 a.m.
2. I didn't get to bed last night until 2 a.m.
Post actions:

Re: go/get

Post by trolley » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:03 pm

I would use "get to bed" if some circumstance prevented doing so any sooner. I would use "go to bed" if it was by choice.
Post actions:

Re: go/get

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:23 pm

.. hey digi >>>

1. I didn't go to bed last night until 2 a.m. >> you are in control and you made an active personal choice to stay up till 2am ..

.. as opposed to ..

2. I didn't get to bed last night until 2 a.m. >> you are not fully in control and something was interfering with you being able to go to bed .. (Note: It can still involve a decision on your part as you may be out celebrating rather than an involuntary thing like say being up minding a sick child)

WoZ who often stays up till 2am
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.