There you go again, jumping to conclusions.

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by digitalen » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:45 pm

I wonder if "Jumping" is Gerund" or "participle".

If "Jumping" is "Gerund", is next sentence correct?
There you go again, to jump to conclusions.
Post actions:

Re: There you go again, jumping to conclusions.

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:24 pm

I don't think it's sensible to analyse

in the same way as a sentence like

John was in the street, walking to the station.

The former readily separates into two components:

There you go again! Jumping to conclusions!

Here, the first string is a comment, a pragmatic marker conveying the opinion of the commenter on the inappropriateness of the reaction of the person addressed (as well as having semantic content, invoking its habitual nature). It could be substituted by 'Typical!' with little change of meaning (though this would probably be ruder, and the 'you' would be better incorporated somehow:

That's typical of you! Jumping to conclusions! or

Typical! You're jumping to conclusions again!

The last variant hints strongly that there is conversational subject deletion of you in the sentence fragments lacking a subject - so the -ing form is a relict present participle. 'There you go again, verbing ...' (usually with words after the -ing form) is a snowclone - a commonly used formula - but is usually restricted to informal conversation.

In 'John was in the street, walking to the station.', 'walking to the station' is post-modifying John; here we might assume that there are two closely linked statements:

'John was in the street. He was walking to the station.' Again, subject deletion, but quite normal in formal writing in this case.
Post actions:

Re: There you go again, jumping to conclusions.

Post by Phil White » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:23 pm

There is no way that "jumping" can be interpreted as a gerund in that sentence. In no way can it be said to function as a noun.

As far as I see it, there are two possible analyses, both of which Edwin has touched on. Either we are looking at suppression (deletion, ellipsis) of the Subject and modal verb "you are" or we are looking at the present participle acting adjectivally to qualify "you" (or adverbially to qualify "go", in which case it is an adjunct). None of these options are entirely satisfactory, But idiomatic expressions such as these regularly resist tidy analysis. I can see good arguments for any of the three interpretations.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

End of topic.