I want a career after I find my prince charming.

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Post by digitalen » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:52 am

I would like to know the meaning of the next sentence.

Eight-year-old girl: When I was little, all I wanted to be was a princess.
Then I realized that life is not just a fairytale.
Post actions:

Re: I want a career after I find my prince charming.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:37 am

.. digi in myth and legend Prince Charming is the archetypal do-good-handsome-save-the-day Prince .. most famous probably for slicing his way through the thorn forest to kiss Sleeping Beauty and awaken her from her spell-bound slumber .. he also appeared at the Palace Ball where Cinderella lost her glass slipper .. and many other places .. he is the dreamy image that all girls, especially those who liken themselves to being a Princess, want to come into their life and carry them off to a legendary Camelot or some such palace ..

.. having a career in this day and age is important to woman who wish to fullfil themselves not only as the mother figure but also as the high powered brainiac .. it is ok to have a Prince Charming for love and romance but there must be more to life than just that .. isn't there ???

.. now digi the hard part .. given these two gems of wisdom can you now take a learned guess at what the little girl means ?? .. of course you can .. the WWs can't do all the work for your course ..

WoZ mounting his white charger
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:54 am

Just to add that

I found my Prince Charming

and

I found the prince charming

are different grammatical constructions.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:53 am

.. gee Ed I thought in this day and Age that upper case letters were so passe .. not needed like commas and apostrophes and the like ..

WoZ the old fashioned fart
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:36 pm

I may be wrong, but I think you're missing the point that the second one is analagous to "I found the play boring"?
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:54 am

.. Ed allow me a smidgen of intelligence .. I know exactly what it is that you meant ..
Post actions:

End of topic.