Dogs, dogs everywhere.

This formerly read-only archive of threads dates back to 1996, but as of March 2007 is open to new postings. For technical reasons, the early dates shown do not accurately reflect the actual date of posting.

Feel free to add new postings to any of the existing threads in the archived forums, but please create any new language-related threads in one of the Language Discussion Forums.

Dogs, dogs everywhere.

Post by Lanfear » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:47 pm

Check this article out.

http://www.slate.com/id/2256007

Let's see if we can find exceptions to this rule.
Post actions:

Re: Dogs, dogs everywhere.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:07 am

.. Lanfear it poses an interesting proposition doesn't it .. why should poor canines be the harbingers of plot changes ?? .. why not cats meowing ?? .. horses neighing ?? .. although I have experienced the occasional "cattle lowing" ..

WoZ snoring
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by zmjezhd » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:35 pm

Well, I suppose it coluld be a tried trope as the author implies, but it might go back to a time when animals and their activities did augur the future. (In a pre-novelistic times, it might have been cock's crowing or a hawk screeching, and geese honking did save Rome from those pesky Gauls.) Dog's barking in the distance might remind us of a time when we huddled around an open fire and heard wolves howling in the distance. You might want to check some works on folklore and see if dogs barking is a motif in folk narratives, and what other animals might be involved.
Post actions:

Post by Shelley » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:44 pm

Hark, hark! The dogs do bark!
The beggars are coming to town . . .
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:42 pm

Even if a dog doesn't bark in the distance, there's a pretty good chance that a siren will wail, a child will cry or a train whistle will blow. I'm sure that, somewhere, a duck quacks but no one ever seems to think it's worth mentioning.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:23 am

.. trolley I do know that frogs ribetting and crickets chirping do have a soothing all-is-well feeling of sitting around in the evening at peace with the world .. generally just before the mad axe murderer bursts out of the trees chasing a blood soaked terrified semi-naked female .. but back to the ducks quacking ..........

WoZ burping
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:29 am

Have you noticed that everyone is avoiding mentioning the echo of a duck’s quack?
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:43 am

I suspect it's because Daisy has unfortunately been eaten by a fox. Discussion of her quack's echo, or the lack thereof, would consequently be in poor taste; following her encounter with the fox, the unavailability of an echo must necessarily be, at the very least, a subject that is liable to stir up painful or melancholy sentiments.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:45 am

I heard a tree barking in the distance, but I was unfamiliar with its timber.

Ken – June 23, 2010
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:04 am

It was probably barking mwahahah!ad.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Phil White » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:05 pm

Wizard of Oz wrote:.. trolley I do know that frogs ribetting and crickets chirping do have a soothing all-is-well feeling of sitting around in the evening at peace with the world ..
I'm sure we've mentioned it before, but very few frogs "ribett" or "redeep". Just one species of frog makes that typical noise: Hyla regilla or the Pacific Treefrog. It happens to be widespread around Hollywood, so when the early sound effects engineers were told to "go record a frog", that was the sound they came back with, and it has been the stereotypical sound of frogs in movies ever since.

As so often, the source of this useless factiod was that magnificent English show QI (the clip unfortunately finishes before the snippet of information about the Pacific Treefrog).

A nice page on TV tropes:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... undEffects
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:21 pm

I have caught QI out several times in the past. I am sure that they said that Herod's wife, Salome's mother, was named Doris. He was married to Doris, but she was his first wife. Still a good piece of knowledge, but just a little less interesting in that it wasn't the famous queen.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:11 pm

QI have set up a quibbles blog just for such anoraky comments (although nobody has yet quibbled with "Doris"). I have to say, I am a sucker for the show.

And just to prove how right you are: Here is the clip. And here is a site with a resident anorak who has corrected the Doris issue.

Oh dear, I appear to be getting anoraky about QI....
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:12 pm

.. Phil so sorry for the confusion .. I was actually invoking geek-speak to imply that Aussie frogs are very intelligent .. ribetting actually refers to the action of mulling over epsilon conjectures of semistable elliptic curves whilst paving the way towards Andrew Wiles's proof of Fermat's last theorem .. it is a verb formed from the name of the famous mathematics geek Kenneth Alan Ribet .. bloody clever frogs our bell frogs ..

WoZ farting (pardon me)
Post actions:

Post by christinecornwall » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:12 am

Phil White wrote:QI have set up a quibbles blog just for such anoraky comments (although nobody has yet quibbled with "Doris"). I have to say, I am a sucker for the show.

Oh dear, I appear to be getting anoraky about QI....
Can you fill me in about anoraky, because this is what I found...
Main Entry: an·o·rak
Pronunciation: \ˈa-nə-ˌrak\
Function: noun
Etymology: Dan, from Inuit (Greenland) annoraaq
Date: 1922
: a usually pullover hooded jacket long enough to cover the hips
Post actions: