new anagram solver

Here's where you can set a challenge or invite other Wordwizard members to take part in a word-related game of some kind.

To stop things getting too confusing, it's probably best to create a separate thread for each new game or challenge.

new anagram solver

Post by anagramator » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:08 pm

hello all word games fans at the forum, i think some of you will find this new tool i have been working on useful or amusing at least.

it's called http://www.anagramator.com, have fun and tell me what you think :)
Post actions:

Re: new anagram solver

Post by Phil White » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:53 pm

Call me an old stick-in-the-mud, but doesn't an anagram solver rather defeat the object? Take the fun out of it? (Except for the programmer, that is.)

I once had great fun writing a sudoku solver. I've never done one just for fun since...
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:00 am

I tried the Anagramator anagram solver, and found it very limited. It appears to default to an output of three words, with no possibility to change this value.

I used the string "Word Games and Challenges" as a test input text. Anagramator returned 25 results; by comparison, the anagram solver at Wordsmith.org found 68,182 combinations (of which it displayed the first 1000), and provided many ways to refine the output using its Advanced Options settings. In addition, the Wordsmith tool was also noticeably quicker, even though it had generated such a large volume of results.

Both Anagramator and Wordsmith permit a maximum input text length of 30 letters.

The blurb on Anagramator's website also offers the possibility to "Find hidden meanings for names, terms, and words", but provides no way to do so. By contrast, the Wordsmith anagram site provides several additional anagram-related tools plus links to collections of notable anagrams.

I would give Anagramator a subjective score of 1/10, and the Wordsmith anagram tool 9/10.

There are also plenty of other anagram solvers on the Web, should you wish to search for them.
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:19 pm

Work like a working wordwizard (4,5)
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:24 pm

... while pith forms another. (4,5)
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:16 am

Ha! The words win!

Or do they...? (You sly fox, Edwin!)

Erik Kowal = Work like a...
Phil White = While pith... (Or possibly 'Work like a %&$# while pithed'.)
Post actions:

End of topic.