Quadrivial Quandary

Here's where you can set a challenge or invite other Wordwizard members to take part in a word-related game of some kind.

To stop things getting too confusing, it's probably best to create a separate thread for each new game or challenge.

Quadrivial Quandary

Post by rudi » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:11 pm

The challenge of Quadrivial Quandary is to use four words of the day in a single illustrative sentence. Today's words are jeremiah, sparge, surfeit, and mucro. The site is at http://www.quadrivialquandary.com

-Rudi

PS. I'm the founder of QQ and I thought it might be of interest to fellow word lovers here. I'm glad to have just joined Wordwizard.
Post actions:

Re: Quadrivial Quandary

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:08 am

.. Rudi I offer the following ..
The gloomy jeremiah noted that as his bodily gases sparged into the bath water it felt like so many tiny mucros lightly piercing his skin.
WoZ who suffers from jeremiahadism
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:49 am

It's good as far as it goes, WoZ, but there's an absence of surfeit.
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:48 pm

And a surfeit of gloom.
Post actions:

Post by rudi » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks for giving it a try, WoZ. Yes, as the others point out, all four words are required.

When I work on my own solutions, I often find that three words come together quickly. Lots of time is spent getting that fourth word to fit.

-Rudi
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:05 pm

One is tempted to suggest mirbane, zugzwang, selcouth and bematist.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:21 am

.. no no no .. it was nothing of the sort .. it is only a matter of forgetting the other word .. simply fixed >>
The gloomy jeremiah noted that as his surfeit of bodily gases sparged into the bath water it felt like so many tiny mucros lightly piercing his skin.
.. others having a go ???

WoZ offended
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:29 am

rudi wrote:Thanks for giving it a try, WoZ. Yes, as the others point out, all four words are required.

When I work on my own solutions, I often find that three words come together quickly. Lots of time is spent getting that fourth word to fit.

-Rudi
.. a bit condescending Rudi ??? .. it took me all of 3 seconds to add the extra word .. I find that the solutions offered on your website, whilst grandiose in appearance, might not always satisfy the requirement to be a single sentence ..

WoZ
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:39 am

.. WoZ tries his hardest again .. (gee hope I am up to standard) ..
Acting in her role as ombudsman the worldly-wise cassandra stipulated that the settlement included the need for all to heed her prophecies in future.
.. I find the challenge of including all of the words in the shortest sentence possible much more rewarding .. and difficult ..

WoZ wondering where the others answers are ??? .. looking, looking .........
Post actions:

Post by rudi » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:36 pm

Sorry for being away from this thread. WoZ, re: your comment of 10.19, there was absolutely no condescension intended -- I was only referring to my own difficulty with the fourth word and did not mean to imply that you should experience the same. From your revised sentence, I see that you do not :) Thank you for posting it. FWIW, this topic of the "fourth word" has come up on the QQ blog before: http://blog.quadrivialquandary.com/whic ... not-belong
Re: your second point -- Yes, we have sentences of all kinds on the site, and some of them do stretch the boundaries of that term. (Particularly terse solutions that still illustrate the word meanings are always welcome and often stand out.)
Post actions:

End of topic.