name that snake

Here's where you can set a challenge or invite other Wordwizard members to take part in a word-related game of some kind.

To stop things getting too confusing, it's probably best to create a separate thread for each new game or challenge.

Re: name that snake

Post by longstockinggirl » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:55 pm

My friends and I agree - the list of names is just plain awful. I don't know if any of you follow the snake's twitter feed @bronxzooscobra, (for those who aren't registered users http://www.twitter.com/bronxzooscobra will allow you to read the tweets) but the ssssnake is hysssterically funny.

She's so disgusted with her name choices she's launched an unofficial campaign to rename the Bronx Zoo. (And I don't blame her!)

The twitter feed is worth a look if you have a few seconds. The anonymous person behind it really knows NYC, makes clever cultural references, and provides more than a dash of humor.

Have a good day.
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:04 pm

NBC reports that the Bronx Zoo received 33,000 suggestions and this short-list represents "the most popular and the most appropriate." Agnes? Really? Did someone change the meaning of "appropriate" (or Agnes) while I was sleeping?
Post actions:

Post by dante » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:45 pm

Agnes Greek for pure or holy; reference also to St. Agnes
Amaunet A goddess in Ancient Egyptian religion; meaning “the female hidden one”
Cleopatra The last pharaoh of Ancient Egypt; supposedly killed herself by means of an Egyptian cobra bite
Subira Egyptian for “patience”
Mia
It's clear that she is a she (I wonder where they look to tell the gender of snakes, I don't have even a vague idea), but since I don't know her national or other adherence, whether she was born in Bronx or immigrated, I'll opt for a name which is lady-like and still has international flavor to it. Bernadette.
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:28 pm

Bob wrote:

Do you think that it is possible that Patrick banished the adders before they could multiply and then divide themselves all over Ireland and subtract fear from the locals?

It being obviously far harder for Dewi to root out the dragons from Wales.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:58 am

He had no-one he could dragoon for the task. Especially not dragoons.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:15 pm

Ssssuggessstion:

Ex-Pat
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:38 am

According to one of the latest tweets from the snake, she is to be called Mia -- perhaps short for 'Missing In Action'?

(UPDATE: The official announcement by the Bronx Zoo.)

As for the suggestions for a new name for the Bronx Zoo that people have contributed to her Twitter stream, I rather liked the following:

Sssssing Sssssing
Missed Opportunity To Cash In On Social Media Storm Zoo
I am really looking at you zoo
The symbol formerly known as The Bronx Zoo
Who let the snakes out official zoo
The Wildlife Consternation Society
The Ssssslammer
Animal Housearrest
Even With All Of The Great Social Media Going On We Can't Name a Snake to Save Our Lives Zoo
The Bronx Violent Torpedo of Truth Holding Facility
Alcobratraz
New York Snake Penitentiary
Hotel California ("Cuz you can check out, but you can never leave")
The Only Reason to Visit the Bronx
The Bronx Zoo: The real zoo is outside our gates
Cobracabana

My suggestion:

Alcatrasp.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

End of topic.