name that snake

Here's where you can set a challenge or invite other Wordwizard members to take part in a word-related game of some kind.

To stop things getting too confusing, it's probably best to create a separate thread for each new game or challenge.

name that snake

Post by marie26 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:55 pm

Post actions:

Re: name that snake

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:29 pm

I just entered Aspidistra
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:52 pm

I entered Tweety-Python.
Post actions:

Post by marie26 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:51 am

I entered Twitter Critter which I'm sure has already been done to death.
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:05 am

This wizard entered Abradacobra.

Ken G – April 3, 2011
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:55 am

Today was the day that the shortlist of five names selected by staff at the Bronx Zoo was published for people to vote on.

Here is the list as presented:

Agnes Greek for pure or holy; reference also to St. Agnes
Amaunet A goddess in Ancient Egyptian religion; meaning “the female hidden one”
Cleopatra The last pharaoh of Ancient Egypt; supposedly killed herself by means of an Egyptian cobra bite
Subira Egyptian for “patience”
Mia

-------------------------

I can't believe how lame that list is. I suppose that a snake, by virtue of being legless, is in a sense lame.

But what a humourless, unimaginative bunch they are at that zoo... I refused to vote for any of their picks. Or those pricks.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:28 am

Erik, I'm in total agreement with you. That list is absolutely pathetic. There are lots of kids as well as adults visiting a zoo and I can't see where any child or adult would find any of those interesting. What a wasted opportunity to have selected a fun name that people could get a kick out of.

I'm also not going to vote since there is nothing worth voting for – and that's a shame.

Ken – April 4 , 2011
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:00 am

I've just sent an email to the zoo's media office castigating their staff for their pusillanimity. My final salutation was a Bronx cheer.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:33 am

Yes, they're making a Glaurung error.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:53 am

Not only that, it beggars belief that they could have lost something as big as a Bronxosaurus.
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:23 am

Allegedly, Dumbo's still hidden away somewhere on the Lower East Side.
And there's a theory that Kong's death was just a story put about to avoid panic - he and Fay Wray just faked it and slipped unnoticed over to Brooklyn.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:35 am

Ah yes. They must have stayed hidden below the Brooklyn Ridge.
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:45 am

There are whispers that they were rediscovered, seen in a fresh light from the Jackson Heights.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:27 am

After St Patrick abolished adders from Ireland, Glasgow's dyslexic writers referred to Scotland's vipers, partly in jest, as Partick Thistles.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:11 pm

Do you think that it is possible that Patrick banished the adders before they could multiply and then divide themselves all over Ireland and subtract fear from the locals?
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales