Sausages

Here's where you can set a challenge or invite other Wordwizard members to take part in a word-related game of some kind.

To stop things getting too confusing, it's probably best to create a separate thread for each new game or challenge.

Sausages

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:28 am

I learned last night that Diz Disley has died. I can’t say that Diz was a friend, but I certainly knew him and admired him greatly. If I tell you that Stéphane Grappelli played with him rather than the other way around you will realise what a brilliant guitarist he was.

One of the things that Diz used to say was “Sausage me a gregory”.

Would you like to have a try at translating that? Answer on Monday if no-one gets it.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: Sausages

Post by Phil White » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:25 pm

What did Ivan Lendl say when he first arrived in the US?
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by PhilHunt » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm

Don't mean to be rude, but it sounds like something Sofia Loren may have said to Gregory Peck. ;)
Post actions:
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:55 am

.. Bob I am willing to bet it is rhyming slang but I couldn't get the gist at my first reading .. sausage meant nothing but is probably half of a double word and I guessed that Gregory was short for probably Gregory Peck which means neck where I come from .. but a trip to my rhyming slang dictionary brought me closer to what I needed to know .. there I found sausage a goose's which gave me the round about way for arriving at what Diz was saying ..

.. I'll PM you as I don't want to spoil it for others who may be looking ..

WoZ havin a butchers at the ivory pearls
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by PhilHunt » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am

:) Got it!
Post actions:
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by zmjezhd » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:47 pm

The second half of the doublet for sausage is and mash.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:27 am

.. don't forget to PM Bob if you think you have it BEFORE he posts the answer .. and explain how you arrived at the answer ..

WoZ rhymin
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:10 am

I'm struggling with Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:11 pm

A couple of people sent me a PM with the answer, WoZ was first, closely followed by Phil, and James was on the right track:

It is rhyming slang of course,

Sausage and mash - cash
Gregory Peck - cheque

Diz was asking us to cash him a cheque.

This was in total contrast to an Irish musician who was touring at the same time, who always asked to get paid by cheque, "You can't spend a cheque!" he used to mutter, it would seem that all too often his fees had disappeared by the time he got back to Cork, so having a cheque was a lot safer.
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:30 am

"Somebody's liquidized my current account!" disagreed Mr Fields.
Post actions:

Post by Shelley » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:54 pm

Edwin F Ashworth wrote:I'm struggling with Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast.
Thanks to you, Edwin, I've had the Red Dwarf theme song in my head for days . . . "Fresh mango juice . . . Goldfishes nibbling at my toes . . . Fun, fun, fun in the sun, sun, sun . . .!"
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:07 pm

.. thanks Shelley .. I thought I knew that reference but couldn't remember where from .. it was Rimmer's alterego wasn't it ??

WoZ going for a vindaloo and a lager
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Yes indeed, thank you Shelley! ......Not only did you start me off with, "It's cold outside. There's no kind of atmosphere..." running through my head all day, but when I settled down with a cup of coffee to watch the box for an hour last night, what did I get? A re-run of Red Dwarf Series Two! You are ganging up on me. It's a conspiracy.
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Shelley » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:36 pm

Total conspiracy, Bobinwales!
Yes, Rimmer's alter-ego, but I can't remember his name -- Ace something? I'll look it up . . .
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:31 pm

Umm...

I think you will find it's Ace Rimmer Shelley!
Post actions:
Bob in Wales