Word Scrabble Game

Here's where you can set a challenge or invite other Wordwizard members to take part in a word-related game of some kind.

To stop things getting too confusing, it's probably best to create a separate thread for each new game or challenge.

Re: Word Scrabble Game

Post by Daniell » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:23 am

DANDY
CANDY
BANDY
BADDY
DABBY
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:47 am

Hi Daniell -- welcome to Wordwizard!

Your transformations worked until the last line, where you changed three letters at once and not just one.
Post actions:

Post by Shelley » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Question: can the letters be rearranged?
Example: LOAF, LOAD, LORD, LORE, OREO?
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Hm. 'Oreo' not only rearranges the letters, it adds an O and subtracts an L...
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Shelley » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:30 pm

Well, yes, I'm changing a letter (L to O) as a regular move in the game, plus I'm rearranging the new letters. Maybe it's ok to do one or the other, but not both?
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:05 am

.. look at the original post and it only mentions letter substitution ..

WoZ, BoZ, boa, bod, bed >>> good place to go ..
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by andy-ronald » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:48 am

How many of you guys use scrabble cheat to decode words in games as I have found that people who are out of words in games sometime they use scrabble dictionary and scrabble cheat to find new words.
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:53 am

Hi Andy.

The Scrabble Dictionary has its uses, but we can invent better words than they allow. (To be fair, grammar is easier to argue about, as even the top profs can't agree what's right.)

Once you start taking games seriously, you really have to decide on the exact rules beforehand. In the present instance:

(1) Which dictionary does one use to decide which words are permitted? (Sowpod's 2004 ed contains all the words of the then OSD and some more besides, for instance). Allowing 'any word in any English dictionary' would be fun - you'd need to hire Ken for every game.

(1b) Which edition!?

(1c) Are all entries (many dictionaries seem to carry slang, dialect, foreign items, initialisms, proper words, ... now) to be allowed?

(2) Is the use of the agreed volume / disk now

(A): limited to checking challenged alleged words by an agreed referee
(B): limited to checking challenged alleged words by the challenger, while the challengee (!!?) makes sure the challenger doesn't float about while finding / not finding the alleged word
(C): extended from (B) to a contestant checking that a string they have in mind is an allowed word before submitting it (and then how does one ensure that the person using the dictionary is really checking hunches rather than fishing?)

Friends I used to play Scrabble with / against (40 years ago now) and I used to have more fun arguing over what was allowed than playing words and scoring. But then you have to say, "It's only a game," and put the inevitable injustices you've suffered totally out of your mind.

Oh, but I should have been allowed 'loaners'.
Post actions:

Post by johnwood » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:15 pm

It is OK to get help with scrabble dictionary as many sites offer as well. Getting help is not unfair.
See: http:/ /www.scrabblecheats.com/dictionary-scrabble /
Many others like hasbro, scrabblecheat and pogo doing the same..
Post actions:

End of topic.