Colour Test

Here's where you can set a challenge or invite other Wordwizard members to take part in a word-related game of some kind.

To stop things getting too confusing, it's probably best to create a separate thread for each new game or challenge.

Colour Test

Post by trolley » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:04 pm

I thought this was pretty interesting. Apparently, it is very rare for someone to get 100% on the first go 'round. I'm not even medium-rare. They say the average is five attempts before you get it right.

http://www.humorsphere.com/fun/8787/colortest.swf
Post actions:

Re: Colour Test

Post by Phil White » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:16 pm

0% first time because I couldn't see the word and the two options all at the same time and timed out on the first three so didn't bother with the rest.

100% thereafter (having reduced the size of the browser so that I could see the entire thing without shifting my line of focus too far).

But yes, it is remarkably difficult and undoubtedly says a lot about something or other.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by russcable » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:49 pm

I found the instruction unclear. Plus the fact that the choice buttons change colors makes me start over every time, i.e.
[[[ Pink ]]]
becomes
[[[*Pink*]]]
with a random background color.
What was I doing again? What does that green have to do with it?
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:12 pm

When I tried it, I answered 100% accurately but scored only 13%. There's something wrong with the way the test is set up.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by trolley » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:14 pm

OK, there's a good chance that you guys are just pulling my weenie, but here goes, anyway. Identify the colour that the top word is typed in. Ignore what colour that word "says". From the two choices below select the word that describes that colour. Ignore the colour that the word is typed in.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:38 am

OK, everybody needs a hobby... but pulling other people's weenies is not one of mine. :-)

Rest assured, I followed the instructions, and I am very confident that I answered correctly. The test still sucks.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by PhilHunt » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:57 pm

I got 83% on my first try, as I messed up the first question. However, I got 100% on my second. Not that I'm bragging...or pulling weenies.
Erik, have you ever been tested for colour blindness?
Post actions:
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:30 pm

My colour vision has been tested and found 100% perfect, thank you.
Post actions:

Post by russcable » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:15 pm

First:
The instruction says:
Pick the color of the word, not the word.
So if you're into semantics and semiotics, you could probably argue with this instruction all day.
Another way to say this could be:
Pick the color of the text, not the color of the word.
Notice that seems like the opposite opposite instruction, i.e. DON'T pick the color of the word.

Second:
The first one is
Red
I think this is intentionally confusing since you've been reading blue text all along so you don't realize (in only 4 seconds) that blue is part of the problem and not just the normal text color for the application. Something like:
1)
Yellow
would be a more clear way to start.

Third:
The button colors changing, e.g. (*Red*) to (*Red*) on mouseover is just added sensory overload.

It's rather like the Cmabirgde Uinervtisy thing where the example has been purposefully rather than randomly chosen in order to make the effect more impressive.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:36 pm

.. this is one of the oldest pyschology tests going round .. it is known as the Stroop Effect and has many variations .. once you know what is going on it is fairly easy to get 100% on such a simple version as the one posted here .. suck eggs Erik ..

WoZ in green
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:52 pm

Suck the father of the eggs, WoZ.
Post actions:

Post by Lanfear » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:04 pm

Oooohhhh!!!! 75% 1st time!!! Though I only answered one wrong, as did Phil, and he got 83% Strange.
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:12 pm

Of course, pink isn't autological, though black is. Then again, so is pink.
Post actions:

End of topic.