brainaching puzzle

Here's where you can set a challenge or invite other Wordwizard members to take part in a word-related game of some kind.

To stop things getting too confusing, it's probably best to create a separate thread for each new game or challenge.

Re: brainaching puzzle

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:16 pm

My, how delicious the word 'impossible' tastes!
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Phil White » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:37 pm

dante wrote:... stating that the pots contain 100 coins each makes that fact a relevant variable of the puzzle in my mind though it certainly is not and so mislead the solver and I wouldn't opt for that wording for that reason.
That's part of the puzzle, namely identifying what information is relevant and what is not. Laying false trails is all part of the fun.

"You have a blue bag, a red bag, a green bag, a yellow bag and an orange bag. Each bag contains 37 coins. The coins in one bag each weigh 9 g, and the coins in all the other bags weigh 10 g..."
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by dante » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:47 pm

:) :) :) Bon appetite Erik .

Nice example to prove your point Phil. It stands to reason of course.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:56 pm

Phil White wrote: That's part of the puzzle, namely identifying what information is relevant and what is not. Laying false trails is all part of the fun.
Quite, as evidenced by this one.

You are driving a long distance bus. The first stop is in the next town where two people get off and four get on. One of the new passengers has two suitcases, the others have one each.

At the second stop one of the passengers who got on at the last stop got off, taking his luggage with him, and is replaced by a woman with an overnight bag and an umbrella.

At the third stop all of the passengers get off, but one of them forgot his suitcase. Two people get on, neither has any luggage.

What is the name of the driver?

I am away for a few days, going into England to visit my moiety's childhood haunts. Which is probably just as well under the circumstances!
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:02 pm

Bobinwales wrote:What is the name of the driver?
Stan Butler
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Dante et al, Here is the unexpurgated version of the solution I had originally written up to send in. It follows the same principle as Phil's solution but along a slightly different path. Calculationwise it appears to be a bit easier to do – no multiplication/addition (to get the 550 g) nor subtraction to get the pot – as long as you know your 9 times table. But perhaps it's not quite as elegant.
1) Turn off power to digital scale.

2) Make ten numbered piles of coins on the scale with the first pile containing 1 coin from the 1st pot; 2nd pile containing 2 coins from the 2nd pot; . . . 10th pile containing 10 coins from the 10th pot.

3) Now turn on the power to the scale.

4) If the total reading ends in a ‘9’ (1x9=9) then it must be the 1st pot that contains the 9-gram coins; if ends in an ‘8’ must be 2nd pot (2x9=18); if ends in a ‘7’ then must be 3rd pot (3x9=27); . . . ; if ends in ‘0’ (10x9) must be 10th pot.

Ken – April 16, 2009
Post actions:

Post by dante » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:32 am

Well that's it Ken, only the turning off the scale and numbering the piles you put on the scale was unneeded. Its enough to put the pots in line and to take out the coins in order so that you can know later what number of coins you took out from which pot.
Post actions:

Post by Shelley » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:25 am

I protest. This is not a word game.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:55 am

.. Shelley it is one of thousands of similar type puzzles from books variously called the Mensa Handbook/Mensa Exams/Increase Your IQ or similar ilk .. there is of course no correlation with intelligence as some can and some can't just as some can kick a ball and some can't .. but they do pass the time as do Kakuro puzzles, crosswords, Sudoko puzzles and any number of brain gym type things .. I remember that in some puzzle books they used to have .. still have ?? .. puzzles called Logic Puzzles which gave all kinds of variations of clues and then popped the question .. however the main medical finding is that keeping the mind active with puzzles does have benefits with regards to some geriatric conditions ..

WoZ ... now what was the question ??
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Shelley » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:31 am

Yes, yes, I know, WoZ.
My protest is delivered in a very pouty manner from over in the corner where I've isolated myself, because I'm totally dimwitted with these things.
Some things I can really do -- crosswords, for example, or if you ask me to fit an enormous amount of luggage into a small trunk -- but if it has to line up in my head somehow (math, logic) well, just forget about it. (And yet, I'm a logical person . . .)
So, I'll just lob comments from over here in the corner whilst you all have your math-y fun.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:31 am

Perhaps you'd be happier, Shelley, if this kind of non-verbal puzzle was posed in the Addicts' Corner forum? That's an area where you can pay as much or as little attention as you like to the postings (knowing that they are not related to the main thrust of these forums), depending merely on how fascinating you find their topics.

For instance, as soon as Bobinwales, WoZ or Phil White start up a thread there for the purpose of blathering on about the latest cricket or rugby series, I know I can safely ignore it and do something that holds considerably more excitement for me, such as listening to the sound of drying paint.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by dante » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:06 am

Sorry for posting in the wrong section people. I'm interested in all sections on WW so I always open "active topics" and not some specific section of the forum. It obviously happened that I was reading the section "Word games" when this puzzle crossed my mind :). I'll pay more attention the next time I post.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:58 am

I think you should not fret about it, Dante. The forum categories are more in the nature of guidelines than rigid prescriptions. I must admit that it did not even occur to me that your puzzle -- which was most entertaining -- was not a linguistic one until Shelley drew it to our attention.

Moreover, the three of us who moderate this site (Phil White, Ken Greenwald and me) are able to move topics from one forum to another if we think they have been posted in the wrong place, so it's a question of minor importance. The only situation I can think of where I could foresee us being concerned about it is if one of our members appeared to be deliberately and persistently starting new threads in the wrong place, which you have not been doing. (And nor has anyone else, for that matter.)

It is equally to your credit that you have refrained from discussing matters of rugby or cricket since you joined. This shows great discernment and nobility of spirit on your part.
Post actions:

Post by Shelley » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:34 pm

On the contrary, dante, I think your post is in the perfect forum according to the following equation: (Word Games) + Challenges = Contents of this Forum.

I realized, after Erik's prompting, that I was interpreting the title of the forum as: Word (Games + Challenges) = Contents of this Forum. My protest has nothing to do with whether or not your really good, non-verbal challenge was in the correct forum. It is simply a little squeak from the peanut gallery brought about by awe and envy over everyone's puzzle-solving ability, and is actually out of order. Tried to be facetious and ended up being a party-pooper. Just because I can't play the game doesn't mean I can't enjoy it from the sidelines, however will act the cheerleader rather than the wet blanket from now on.

Carry on!
Post actions:

Post by dante » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:19 pm

Thanks guys. I really prefer sites where the atmosphere is more laid-back and administrators aren't so rigorous and I'm glad you're not so strict about the rules here. I must compliment you administrators for giving freedom to people to say their word in discussions without bothering with notices about the rules, proper behaviour and sort.

I'm new at toadying to administrators so I'll stop with praises here and leave it for some other time :)

The fact is that I've had problems with narrow minded, "struggling with puberty problems", "feel so good to be the man in charge", dull or so administrators of sites, which ended without exception with "this is my site and my rules" warnings, or so. I'm pretty much tired of that, and I'm not having too much time lately to be annoyed on the net or enter pointless discussion and like. I've had a discussion of the sort recently on one site and I think I'll write on the subject in general some of these days, when I have more time for typing.

The real appeal of this forum for me is that the range of topics is wide and people are willing to join the discussions readily and I really enjoyed the wit, humour and knowledge people shown in some discussions here.
Post actions: