Words in common

Here's where you can set a challenge or invite other Wordwizard members to take part in a word-related game of some kind.

To stop things getting too confusing, it's probably best to create a separate thread for each new game or challenge.

Words in common

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:50 am

.. what do these words have in common??

1 Banana

2 Dresser

3 Grammar

4 Potato

5 Revive

6 Uneven

7 Assess

.. of course you can google it I imagine .. but it is more fun to work it out or to admit you don't know ..

WoZ who didn't know the answer
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: Words in common

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:37 pm

I thought that having two sets of letters the same was too easy an answer, and I was right. I think I have spotted it WoZ, I'll give it a day or two.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by trolley » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:15 pm

Number seven might just be pretending to follow the rules.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:42 am

.. oh dear oh dear .. I thought that the combined intelligensia of WW would rise to the challenge and scream from the rooftops their clever solutions to this mere word bagatelle .. hmmmm maybe all are suffering from chocy poisoning following the annual easter egg binge .. but according to chocolate gourmets the effect of chocolate is to increase the clarity of thinking and give rise to thoughts of great genius and inspiration .. *thinks* .. maybe it's an urban myth started by Willy and the Oompa Loompas .. oh well I s'pose I can give all another 24 hours to recover ..

WoZ feeling magnanimous
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Phil White » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:50 am

Reminds me of my first pair of rock climbing shoes. Asolos, they were.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Phil White » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:54 am

Is one of them a deer breed?
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by dante » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:21 pm

If you remove the first letter in any of these words you have a pattern in which the words are identical spelled either forwards or backwards. It took me almost half a minute to solve the problem. Ok, I'm boasting.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:46 pm

Sorry to burst your baloon there Dante, but it goes one step further. You do remove the first letter, but you then stick it on the end of the word - ananab, rammarg, and read it backwards.

Who was the sad individual who sat down and devised that puzzle and all the other daft ones that there are out there? Perhaps they should try having some wine, sex or friends even.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by dante » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:52 pm

The same thing BobinWales. You can also put it that way of course. Try luck with the puzzle I've just posted :)
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:53 pm

.. yes Phil they would remind you of that .. hope you didn't slip up .. although slipping UP would not be the problem .. slipping down could prove fatal ..

.. Bob I wish there was a prize but if you ever make it Downunder I am sure I can shout you a schooner of Black .. or maybe your small suggestion list for avoiding becoming a word puzzle writer ..

WoZ having wine with a friend before ..............
Post actions:

Post by Shelley » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:23 am

Bobinwales wrote:. . . You do remove the first letter, but you then stick it on the end of the word - ananab, rammarg, and read it backwards.
Oh. My. God. That's too depressing. I will never, never, never, ever, ever, EVER be able to figure out stuff like this.
Post actions:

Post by dante » Fri May 08, 2009 3:15 pm

Or we can say that if we remove the first letter from each of the given words we get palindromes.
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:44 pm

As Napoleon said before his hair turned white, "Sable was I ere I saw Elba." In French.
Post actions:

Post by missypoo1092 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Hmm...that's a tough one Wizard.

http://wordsinasentence.com/ - expand your vocabulary with example sentences
Post actions:

End of topic.