textonyms

Here's where you can set a challenge or invite other Wordwizard members to take part in a word-related game of some kind.

To stop things getting too confusing, it's probably best to create a separate thread for each new game or challenge.

textonyms

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:20 am

.. have you ever been struck by what word sometimes appears when you are texting ?? .. I have noticed that sometimes these words, sharing the same key strokes, can appear to be related .. I have decided to call these words textnyms .. BUT WAIT !!!! .. damn .. botheration .. pipped at the bloody post again .. here I was all set to make MY contribution to linguistic science and yep you guessed it .. some other genius bastard did it before me .. I decided I had better just google my new word and there it was, well nearly my word, in all its Wikibloodypedia glory >>>>> textonym ..

.. oh well here is what I had noticed .. to me these words, that share the same keystrokes, go together >>

golf and hole (4653)
kiss and lips (5477)
ammo and boom (1666)
book and cool (2665)

.. I have even written 2 textonym poems ..

Ode to In-laws

Gone home,
Good.

©WoZ

.. and ..

Hunting racoons
cmon coon,
ammo.
boom.

©WoZ

.. by the general definition a textonym is any word that shares keystrokes with another word .. it is a part of the predictive text function on mobile phones ..

.. have a go at it ..

Woz beaten to the stroke
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: textonyms

Post by Shelley » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:19 am

This is brilliant! OPL on the poems, WoZ. Now, I don't have a cellphone (yeah, I know) so I'm not able to practice this, but does a regular phone keypad do the same thing? In other words, do the numbers correspond with the letters in the same way on a desktop phone as on a cellphone?
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:43 am

.. yes Shelley they are .. it goes >>

2 - abc
3 - def
4 - ghi
5 - jkl
6 - mno
7 - pqrs
8 - tuv
9 - wxyz

.. thanks for the nice words about my poems ..

969 969 !! = WoZ YOW !!
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by wordworld » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:16 pm

I have found that it is extremely irritating when the phone changes my word into something else while I am typing. Then when I hit submit it doesn't even look like the thought I was trying to convey! It is so frustrating!
Post actions:
Signature: "Life is like a well written essay, powerful words used at the correct time can inspire."
-Unknown

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:56 pm

.. the robots are taking over .. beware !!! ..

WoZ
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:24 pm

.. nothing all that great but I noticed that 747737 produces ripper kisses ..

Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:33 pm

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make numbers mean so many different things."
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:02 pm

.. sorry guys .. I just noticed that my previous post is rubbish because it is not kisses but in fact a slang word for micturation ..

WoZ blushing
Post actions:

Post by whirlywordy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:42 am

WOW WoZ you are very smart to think of this as I have a phone but it is very annoying when you type something and the opposite comes up!!!
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:33 pm

You probably need special phones down there.
Post actions:

End of topic.