Twisted definitions

Here's where you can set a challenge or invite other Wordwizard members to take part in a word-related game of some kind.

To stop things getting too confusing, it's probably best to create a separate thread for each new game or challenge.

Re: Twisted definitions

Post by marie26 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:48 am

slacktivism~ (stolen from friend Heather)~ half-assed support of a cause; like cpy and pasting your social website status or changing your profile pic, without making a real effort for change.

craptop~ a cheaply priced and similarly made computer.
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:30 pm

ESL = "English as a Second Language", not "English for Super-advanced obsessed Linguists who deal with the most extreme theoretical stuff that is so extreme and theoretical that in the end they don't even know what they are talking about and they lose their minds and they pull out knives and try to stab each other".

(from another website - I was only peeking, honest. Just looking up the three major approaches to collation. As you do.)
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:39 pm

Sod it! I just bit my lip.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by PhilHunt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:23 pm

in-former = your personal fitness trainer
Post actions:
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:21 am

Infartuation -- The affection felt for one's own flatulence.
Post actions:

Post by marie26 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:17 pm

A Favorite genre of the soccer mom, embracing the likes of " Fifty Shades of Grey " = fuction
Post actions:

Post by marie26 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Posted pic on social networking site featuring the subject scantily clad =hofile pic
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:48 am

Chardonnayfreude -- The pleasure obtained from giving someone else a glass of a particularly sour and nasty wine.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:24 am

.. Erik I wondered whether the word you gave the definition for was a real word or just one you had made-up .. a quick google gave the following ..
Laughing when someone's just spilt their wine: chardonnayfreude.
Taking pleasure from the cheap and unimaginative wine on offer at a friend's lunch party.
Being pleased to see someone else get bad wine chardonnayfreude?
I take guilty pleasure in people ignorantly ordering third rate wines in restaurants. That's right, chardonnayfreude.

.. or for the bilingual amongst us >> Vielleicht bist Du ja doch ein verkappter Chardonnayfreud.
.. google asked me if I wanted to search for chardonnay freude and that is when you really need to be able to speak german .. but I did find ..
Freude f (genitive Freude, plural Freuden)
joy, happiness
.. so i suppose that in german it means the joy or happiness in drinking chardonnay ???

.. anyway as I only really like chardonnay as chablis or the very expensive West Australian chardonnays it is not something I use a lot .. then again I do like the alternative definitions ..

WoZ sipping pinot
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:46 am

WoZ, I was punning on Schadenfreude, an established loan word taken from German which means 'the pleasure taken in someone else's misfortunes'. ('Gloating' or 'malicious satisfaction' are probably the closest English alternatives.) The German word combines the Freude element you described with Schaden, meaning 'damage'.

It appears from your Web search that a few other people have previously thought of the same joke; however, there is no good reason for anyone to derive malicious pleasure from that fact. ;-)
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:52 pm

Sequoiatrist -- An expert in the particular problems that affect redwood trees.

Conucopia -- A (possibly) mythical paradise for scammers.
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:01 pm

Cornutopia -- A (hopefully real) inferno for those who make poor puns to enjoy each other's company in.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:14 pm

aaa
Pisstemology - - That branch of philosophy that investigates the origin and nature of urine.

Assteroid - - An orbiting body with a hole in it.

Ken – August 27, 2013
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:15 am

Empressionist -- A type of drama queen.

Aridan -- A bad-tempered bore.

Utanmeringue -- A kind of sugary dessert popular in Borneo.
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:50 am

Shebath - a generic term for all types of standing water.
Post actions: