On words and meaning

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

On words and meaning

Post by tony h » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:54 pm

There is an odd little book, of painfully little literary merit, which I have now read three times. Why I have read the book is that in the last year I have been encouraged to find out about Asperger’s (Autism Spectrum) and, at a point where I can see the finish line predicted in Psalms 90, I have been officially passed my Asperger’s test with an A*. The psychiatrist, who coyly hid his title of Professor, commented that he was particularly interested to see me as I had no medical history of problems and I would be his oldest diagnosis by nearly two decades.
You may, or may not, know that one of the observable differences in Aspergers brains is the way we process language. The book tries to explain the normal rules of communication and illustrate them in the form of a rather dire play. Pinter can rest easy.
A key part of the author’s premise is that normal communication is based on words being different in meaning to what the words say. It is this aspect that I thought might appeal to Word Wizards. I also thought of parallels in Phil’s piece on talking to Sheba.
I appreciate that it is a substantial request but I would be really interested to know what others here made of the concepts as described in the book. I will declare that it has helped me see, and make sense, of a world I haven’t understood.

Please do not feel obliged.

The book is : A Field Guide to Earthlings by Ian Ford.
http://www.afieldguidetoearthlings.com/
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Re: On words and meaning

Post by BonnieL » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:14 am

Good for you for doing something about learning to live in the world of "normals." Not that I think anyone is really normal. Anyway, my husband has Asperger's & doesn't see any reason to learn anything about it or with dealing with others. When he first read the list of traits for Asperger's, he said, "What's wrong with that? That's me!" :roll:
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:13 am

Excellent. I am with him on that. It is just when I travel to a foreign place I try and learn something about the locals. The differences between England and America between cuffs, how to disagree and to table (in a meeting) are things one has to learn or be misunderstood. As I said, in my original comment, there are a lot of books on symptoms of Aspies but this is the only book I have found that explains NTs to Aspies.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Temple Grandin called herself an anthropologist from Mars - very apt! While she's written a lot from her point of view - and animal's - I don't think she ever explained "normal" culture to other people with autism.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:38 pm

Tony, what do you mean by 'between cuffs': "The differences between England and America between cuffs, ...." ?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:40 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:38 pm
Tony, what do you mean by 'between cuffs': "The differences between England and America between cuffs, ...." ?
Oh dear, my understanding, is that Americans call "turn-ups" on trousers "cuffs", whereas the British have "cuffs" on shirts.
Last edited by tony h on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:41 pm

Thanks, Tony.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC