How you use nouns and adjectives is likely to correlate with your political leanings

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Did your answers correspond to the researcher's prediction?

1. Yes
75%
2. No
25%

Total votes: 4

How you use nouns and adjectives is likely to correlate with your political leanings

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:10 am

According to an article in The Independent's publication Indy 100, new research published in the journal Political Psychology by Dr Aleksandra Cichoca of the University of Kent suggests that the way a person uses nouns and adjectives is indicative of how right- or left-wing they are:
In two studies we obtained consistent support for the hypothesis that conservative political orientation is associated with a linguistic preference for nouns.

Another interesting prospect is that political inclinations are affected by subtle linguistic cues, so that exposure to more abstract language could shift the receiver's political orientation in a conservative direction, at least under some circumstances. To the extent that conservative politicians use more nouns than liberal politicians in political speeches, this may serve a strategic function.

Noun forms may also turn out to be more persuasive to conservatives than liberals.

Take this three-question quiz, and see if Dr Cichoca's prediction is correct in your case. Then please come back here and post the result.
Post actions:

Re: How you use nouns and adjectives is likely to correlate with your political leanings

Post by tony h » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:06 am

It was correct in my case but possibly swayed because I had read the article before taking the test.

Also I wondered about the use of "guess" in the request to "take the quiz and see if we can guess ... ". Surely the research is supposed to move the result away from being "a guess" to being : a calculation, a prediction, an estimation etc
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Re: How you use nouns and adjectives is likely to correlate with your political leanings

Post by Phil White » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:42 am

Wrong for me.

Problem is, the linguistic aspects mentioned are largely an effect of social class, education, professional experience and age, all of which also affect ones political allegiances, so it is no surprise to see a correlation between language and political leanings. In my case, my political allegiance does not tally traditionally with my other background, so the conclusion is flawed.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:52 pm

I was a yes. I think.

WoZ the sceptical
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.