Does WoZ have an opinion on this?

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Does WoZ have an opinion on this?

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:13 am

This is a story from the BBC Website
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: Does WoZ have an opinion on this?

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:19 am

.. Bob of course I have an opinion but it will be poopooed by Erik and the like .. those in the position of power rarely understand the position of the underdog .. here is an interesting article to start proceedings which does nothing if not establishing that I am not alone in my thinking .. I prefer to think of the incursion of Amlish as modern neo-colonialism .. the article outlines that a nation that loses its identifiable language loses its identity .. this has been shown through history as the colonial powers imposed the use of english, spanish, french or whatever language on indigenous tribes .. this article Bob may be close to your heart as it discusses the Americanisation of singing in Aus ..

.. but Bob just at the moment I can't really be bothered doing the necessary research to comment .. I do recall seeing an article recently that did counter this opinion by saying that a lot of people don't realise that many terms have their genesis in Aus but are then popularised O/S and therefore are seen as being an American term, eg muffin top .. and I don't have the access to younger Aussies that I once did to sample what they are saying .. for me I still use the language/slang that I grew up with .. for better of for worse .. perhaps the one thing that I do notice that gets up my nose is the younger generation using phrases that they don't really understand and thus give them a new unrelated meaning ..

WoZ who is tired
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: Does WoZ have an opinion on this?

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:35 am

Wizard of Oz wrote:.. Bob of course I have an opinion but it will be poopooed by Erik and the like
?
Post actions:

End of topic.