computer program can reconstruct dead languages

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

computer program can reconstruct dead languages

Post by PhilHunt » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:37 pm

I don't know if any of you guys saw this news, but it might be of intrest to some: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21427896

Alternatively, you can go directly to the article at the National Academy of Sciences: http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/02/05/1204678110
Last edited by PhilHunt on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post actions:
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Re: computer program can reconstruct dead languages

Post by zmjezhd » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:04 pm

I looked up Professor Klein at Cal (link) and was pleased to find some interesting software posted online that he has written or contributed to. The first one I tested and downloaded was a parser for English. It's pretty good.
Post actions:

Post by PhilHunt » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:08 am

I'll have to try out that software when I have a moment.

The whole project sounds interesting, but, given that a programme hasn't yet been developed that can successfully make sense of the English language, I have some reservation. :)

I just read Dan Klein's CV. I particularly like his Personal section:
"I do actually exist outside of the CS/linguistics world. I took karate for most of my life, and then spent many years with ballroom dance. Competitive ballroom dance is just like karate, but with more music and less scowling. "
Post actions:
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:47 pm

Sounds like Bruce Lee making a comeback.
Post actions:

End of topic.