The intersection of linguistic analysis, code-breaking and European secret societies

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

The intersection of linguistic analysis, code-breaking and European secret societies

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:45 am

There is a fascinating article by Noah Shachtman in the online magazine Wired which describes how a handful of philologists and linguisticians painstakingly applied cryptographic and linguistic analysis to decode a complex 250-year-old manuscript and uncovered its significance to an 18th-century secret society of German freethinkers.

Further info from the researchers themselves can be found here.
Post actions:

Re: The intersection of linguistic analysis, code-breaking and European secret societies

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:48 pm

The qie"t bul#ldozer break-danc”es at dawn.

(The site won't take Tengwar, which is what I tried for)

Fascinating, Erik.

I wonder if he'd like to analyse the Bible's so-called heptenary design?

Oh, and have you seen the programme - Horizon, I think - revealing the incredible achievement of Tut and Flowers at Bletchley Park?
Post actions:

Re: The intersection of linguistic analysis, code-breaking and European secret societies

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:42 am

I haven't, Edwin -- I've only seen the 2001 film Enigma, which adheres only loosely to the story of how the Enigma code was broken.
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:06 am

Apparently, that was the easy one!
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:31 am

Yes, the Zenigma code was altogether more metaphysical.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:15 am

.. yes I remember well the secret meetings of the Knights Templar of the Secret Cave of the Hairy Nose Wombat .. it didn't really take-off but we could never understand why ?? .. it was a fairly simple ritual that mirrored what a hairy nosed wombat does in real life .. he eats roots and leaves .. maybe it was the diet ?? .. or having to dig deep holes ??

High Bat WoZwom
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:49 am

Or -- being Australian -- perhaps he eats, roots, and leaves...?
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Overheard at the Oz Centre for Deciphering: "Can you tell what it is yet?"
Post actions:

End of topic.