Ok, so it isn't a read ...

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Ok, so it isn't a read ...

Post by tony h » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:43 pm

I am not a great watcher of films but I found myself having to watch Hugo directed by Martin Scorsese, not a film director that I know.

First it was a film that I could see firing the practical imaginations of children as the technical interests were clockwork.
Second it had a lovely way of introducing words that would inspire viewers to learn them.
Third it wove in the real story of the magician Georges Melies.

A great family film. And watch the extras on the DVD.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Re: Ok, so it isn't a read ...

Post by Ken Greenwald » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:35 am

aaa
Tony, I rarely watch movies because they mostly piss me off. But Hugo was highly recommended by a trusted friend so I went and saw it and agree with your positive assessment. I thought it was truly magical in many ways.

Ken – April 26, 2012
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:00 am

I am glad you enjoyed it. Did you realise that the George Melies story line is mostly biography? It is worth watching that on the extras.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Ken Greenwald » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:54 pm

aaa
Tony, I had no idea that in this masterpiece the Georges Melies story was true – right down to his little shop in the train station – until you mentioned it. Wikipedia has a very extensive article on his life here.

Ken – April 27, 2012
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:23 am

.. tony a great call .. me and she went to see this steam punk movie and loved it !!! .. she then became Yaya and took 2 of the grandchildren .. Luke was captivated .. so much so that he is about to get the book as a birthday present .. The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick .. the book won the Caldecott Medal in 2008 ..

WoZ like clockwork
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:00 am

I haven't yet seen the film, but I'm feeling an imperative starting to press upon me from all these recommendations.

I am curious, Ken, as to what it is about movies that mostly pisses you off, as you put it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:19 pm

aaa
Erik, I realize that film, music, art, etc. is a matter of taste and often there is no absolute good or bad – what one person loves another may hate. So what pisses me off may seem just great to someone else. I can’t stand violence, tragedy, poor plot, bad acting, failed humor, over sentimentality, etc. And, of course, these are my own perceptions. For example, I went to see The Descendants, which was highly regarded by many, but which I took to be shameless treacle. However, the scenery was great, but that wasn’t enough to do the trick. I do carefully read the reviews from respected sources, but there is no assurance that I will agree. I have been so disappointed so many times that I have more or less given up unless I get a rave review from a friend who I know has similar tastes as my own. So, when it comes to movies I am not easily pleased and my prejudices knock out about 99% of what’s out there. Humbug! (>:)

Ken – April 28, 2012 (the grumpy old man)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Thu May 03, 2012 10:53 am

This is at least based on a book (and a true story):

War Horse.

We've just taken my dad to see it in a 'Senior Screen' re-showing at the cinema. He sat spellbound. So did we.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC