Newspapers

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Newspapers

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:35 pm

Our local newspaper, the South Wales Evening Post, which is delivered to the newsagents at about 6 in the morning, is known for its, shall we say, lack of total accuracy and use of English.

I was wondering if other people have as much fun as I do and invite other entries.

This from today's effort.

Suicide help effort
INTERNET companies must
do more to make sure
people searching for
information about suicide
are readily offered help, the
Government said today.

THIS is from their website.

ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: Newspapers

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:52 pm

Yes, painted-glass windows (rare to find classic examples - there is one at the church at Calke Abbey) are not stained glass, and stained-glass windows are not painted (usually).

Time-travelling windows were rare before Microsoft.

The SWEP seems to be a time-travelling newspaper, though.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Yes, Bob... The reporter did not check the consistency of the dates given and question the discrepancy with his informant, and four days after commenter Dai_Chotomy queried the errors, the paper still had not bothered to investigate and explain them, or even acknowledged that there was a problem.

Classic British journalism at its best.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:40 pm

US journalism has also had its downsides.

Though I think this refers to classic American humour at its best:

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated. Mark Twain
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC