Opinion: Jesse Sheidlower tries adding sex to the dictionary

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Opinion: Jesse Sheidlower tries adding sex to the dictionary

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:44 am

Jesse Sheidlower, editor-at-large of the Oxford English Dictionary, explains why including sex-related terms in the dictionary is more complicated than you might think.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Opinion: Jesse Sheidlower tries adding sex to the dictionary

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:00 am

.. Erik it is a total no win situation .. if you include a word then you need to explain it fully and then you are in trouble .. if you leave it out then you are called a wowser .. also several of the words or uses of the words he discussed could be seen as slang even by the most open minded soul .. somewhere in there is the feather and the chicken problem too .. maybe you put them all in a separate volume with full definitions .. pictures even .. and then sit back and see it outsell the Bible !! ..

WoZ who wants to be a field officer for the new volume
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Shelley » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:55 pm

I went to a lecture that Scheidlower gave at the New York Public Library on his then newly-published book, "The F Word". He was a funny and interesting speaker, and an expert on his subject. I bought the book -- I thought its red dust jacket would match my living room couch perfectly. Indeed, it does. Although red, it is unread, as yet.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:27 pm

If you leave it lying in a sunny spot, it will eventually also be unred.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC