British Library offers e-classics app for iPad

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

British Library offers e-classics app for iPad

Post by PhilHunt » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:17 pm

This storyt might interest all those people who read e-books and have an i-Pad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14376722
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Re: British Library offers e-classics app for iPad

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:54 am

.. thanks Phil ..

WoZ on his iPad
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by LedNick » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:39 pm

is this library free to download?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by PhilHunt » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:50 pm

From what I understand, you never download books with I-pad, but rather lease them. The British library gives I-pad users access and permission to browse the collection for free, but I don't know if you can save anything to your computer.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:31 pm

The article says "Users must pay a monthly subscription of £1.99 to access the full collection".

It also says "Because fully digitised texts consume much more storage space than traditional e-books, the works are not downloaded to the iPad.

Instead they are stored online "in the cloud", according to Mr Bell [an employee at the British Library]."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC