Opinion: Ian Dunt, 'Can Orwell explain Asbos'?

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Opinion: Ian Dunt, 'Can Orwell explain Asbos'?

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:41 am

Political journalist Ian Dunt considers what is implied by the British government's decision to rename 'anti-social behaviour orders' ('Asbos') as 'criminal behaviour orders':

Link
Alternative link

(The content of the opinion piece at the two linked-to pages is the same, but the comment threads are different.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Re: Opinion: Ian Dunt, 'Can Orwell explain Asbos'?

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:48 pm

People have branded some politicians' behaviour as anti-social - but CRIMINAL !?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by russcable » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:48 pm

It seems to me calling bad, er, un-good things by good names was what annoyed Orwell. Isn't this the opposite (criminal is plus-un-good-wise than anti-social)? Orwell would be annoyed if it were changed to "socializing behavior suggestions" (my attempt at a Newspeak), wouldn't he?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:48 pm

I'm sorry, Russ - I never understand British Politics until Rory Bremner de-mystifies it, and he's not on television at the moment. Perhaps he's been Room-101'd.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC