Advocacy: Philip Pullman speaks to defend public libraries against cuts

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Advocacy: Philip Pullman speaks to defend public libraries against cuts

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:31 am

On 20 January 2011, the British author Philip Pullman delivered an impassioned speech to a public meeting called to defend the public libraries of Oxfordshire (UK) against savage spending cuts that would result in half the county's libraries either closing their doors or being staffed entirely by volunteers. In a scathing oration, Pullman criticizes politicians and publishers alike for their pusillanimity and their inability to discern the difference between profitability and value, as well as what he describes as "market fundamentalism, this madness that’s infected the human race".

His address has rapidly spread to a much wider audience via social networking media, and is published on the site falseeconomy.org.uk; here is the link to the speech.

I am grateful to my brother Jan for drawing my attention to this story.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Re: Advocacy: Philip Pullman speaks to defend public libraries against cuts

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:06 am

.. this battle is being fought locally for us too .. one local Mayor seems to think that the way to save money is to close libraries .. why waste money on all those books ???

.. and mass borrowings seem to be another plan of attack on the Isle of Wight to battle against stupid bean counting councils ..

WoZ in the stack
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC