Research article: Lera Boroditsky, 'How language shapes thought'

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Research article: Lera Boroditsky, 'How language shapes thought'

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:29 am

In the current issue of Scientific American, Lera Boroditsky, a linguistics researcher and assistant professor of cognitive psychology at Stanford University, writes about recent progress in establishing an empirical foundation for the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis that the language we use influences the way we think.

Read the article here: http://psychology.stanford.edu/~lera/pa ... m-2011.pdf

My thanks to Ken Greenwald for drawing my attention to this piece.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Re: Research article: Lera Boroditsky, 'How language shapes thought'

Post by marie26 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:43 am

Thank you both for sharing the article. As an educator, it gave me a lot to think about and motivated me further to consider the importance of strengthening a child's oral language!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by PhilHunt » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:08 pm

Good article. I'd read about the Biased test before in a book called the Hidden Brain, but it did not mention the differing findings for bilinguals. I find that very interesting.

I've been preaching to my students for years that its necessary for them to change the way they think about time, causality and agents.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by marie26 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:18 pm

My friend says this article reminds her of a book, "The Outliers." She says it helps her to understand the academic differences amongst the various cultures represented in today's schools.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:40 am

Is your friend perhaps thinking of 'Outliers: The Story of Success' by Malcolm Gladwell?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:42 am

.. so does that explain why we, Downunderites .. with our heads pointed towards the south pole .. speak and think differently to youse lotUpoverites whose heads point towards the north pole .. *grin* ..

WoZ loving anything psycho
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by PhilHunt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:28 pm

There are a group of writers at the moment who seem to write 'ground-breaking' books using the same small pool of statistics and facts.

Gladwell, Steve Levitt, Shankar Vedantam, to name the ones that immediately spring to mind, seem to all quote from the same, or similar, statistics to support their 'unique' take on things. When I read one of their books I find myself thinking, 'but didn't I read about the very same event as being shaped by a completely different factor in another book'.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:05 am

Some books are more land-fill than ground-breaking.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:53 am

Or earth-shattering.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC