Thesaurus

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Thesaurus

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:10 pm

I haven't read it, but I shall.

This is the BBC story.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: Thesaurus

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:18 pm

.. Bob just the thing to curl up with on a night when you just have nothing else to do .. read off a few thousand words .. browse a few centuries .. hmmmm maybe I could get some record as being the first person to read it cover-to-cover ..

WoZ formerly known as woz .. then Woz .. then wOz .......
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:04 am

Bob, Wow! Looks really interesting. However, that $316 price tag (Amazon – but you get free shipping!) might prevent it from making the New York Times Best Seller list. But, if it was available on Kindle it might make it almost worth buying a Kindle (the new DX model goes for $489). I do resist the idea of not having paper in my hands when reading a novel, but as the Kindle features mount I may eventually cave in. The new Kindle DX with the 9.7 inch screen and at 1/3 inch thick looks really cool. And I do hear from folks who own Kindles that the E-Ink print is the closest thing to the printed page you will ever see. A friend has just ordered the new DX with a nice leather case that makes it feel more like a book. It's getting tempting. Well, one of these days.

Ken – July 8, 2009
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:26 pm

The new thesaurus looks like a great resource! However, in the comments below the article Jim from Edinburgh points out a small error in Professor Kay's analysis of "trousers" (apparently, Jim believes she has used the word "Gallic" for "Gaelic") -- an error which doesn't exactly inspire confidence. It could be a typo committed by the person who programmed this article for the BBC webpage.

ANYWAY -- this is one of those tomes I'll consult at the NY Public Library's Main Reference Branch (the one with the lions, Patience and Fortitude, lounging at the front entrance). I'll save up all my words and spend a Saturday afternoon there, looking up stuff.

Re: the Kindle and other electronic reading devices. I understand the attraction, but unless they allow you to "borrow" books for free, it just won't work for a library-type like me. Yeah, it's great to be able to travel with a dozen books while carrying the weight of only one, but if the books are limited to bestsellers and what is found at Barnes and Noble or on Amazon, AND if I have to pay for them, well, hmm . . . I do pretty well picking up things second hand and leaving them along the trail when I travel. Also, leaving a ragged paperback at the rest-stop by accident would be a drag but not the end of the world. Leaving a "Kindle" behind accidentally (unlikely, but not impossible) would be a catastrophe! Does anyone know if you can download books from, say, the Gutenberg project onto a Kindle and by doing so get good stuff to read without having to buy it?

Ok, never mind: I did a little looking myself and, indeed, there are plenty of free e-books available to download to the Kindle (specifically, although I'm sure other devices can be loaded with free books, too).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:59 pm

Just wondering. Have any of you actually had a chance to look at this theasaurus? If so, any comments?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC