Quirk's Grammar

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Quirk's Grammar

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun May 13, 2007 7:08 pm

Quirk's Grammar of Contemporary English...I see it referred-to in a Safire book. Any links to it in WW? I'm having trouble finding out about it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Quirk's Grammar

Post by zmjezhd » Sun May 13, 2007 8:36 pm

There are two books of similar title: (1) Randolph Quirk. 1973. A Concise Grammar of Contemporary English. Harcourt, ISBN: 0155129309, 484pp., and (2) Quirk, Greenbaum, Leech and Svartvik. 1972. A Grammar Of Contemporary English. Longman, ISBN: 058252444X, 1132pp. There is also a later book, (3) Quirk, Greenbaum, Leech and Svartvik. 1983. A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language. Longman, ISBN: 0582517346, 1779pp. The third is still in print (Amazon.com), while the previous two can be found used via Abebooks.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Quirk's Grammar

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon May 14, 2007 12:04 am

The third is the book referred-to, I believe. Thanks for the additional information.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Quirk's Grammar

Post by Ken Greenwald » Mon May 14, 2007 7:24 am

For anyone interested in the shorter 484 page version - the one I own - is also called A University Grammar of English by Quirk and Greenbaum, 1973, published by Longman, ISBN: 0582552079, and is available at Amazon.com.

Ken G – May13, 2007
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Quirk's Grammar

Post by Phil White » Mon May 14, 2007 5:27 pm

Yes, the third has for many years been pretty well the standard reference work - at least for UK English. I use the one Ken quoted, which is in principle a condensation of the second Quirk, Greenbaum, Leech and Svartvik listed by Jim and was compiled "... to satisfy the needs of university students who require the comprehensiveness of the original work but not its detail or extensive theoretical discussion or wealth of exemplification."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Quirk's Grammar

Post by zmjezhd » Mon May 14, 2007 6:53 pm

There's also Rodney Huddleston and Geoffrey Pullum. 2002. The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language. I own it and the second grammar mentioned above. I also find Otto Jespersen. 1909ff. A Modern English Grammar on Historical Principles, 7 volumes, rather good, too.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Quirk's Grammar

Post by mongrowl » Tue May 15, 2007 1:25 am

This topic, started by gdwrkr, is flagging at me but I fail to see justification for the forum choice. Is there some kind of paradigm shift I am unaware of?
Lneil
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All we can do is the Best we can do.

Quirk's Grammar

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue May 15, 2007 3:09 am

Good point. I am moving it to 'Oh, and have you read..?'
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Quirk's Grammar

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue May 15, 2007 9:09 am

Yes, it makes sense to move it here.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC