A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers by Xiaolu Gu

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Post by Meirav Micklem » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:10 am

I hope it's not against house rules to recommend a book that one hasn't read. :-)

I read an excerpt in the Times (Sat 10 Feb) and would love to read the whole book. (However, due to my weird personal preferences I shall wait for the paperback.)

It's written beautifully, and you're inside the main character's head straight away. It's a novel about a Chinese girl who comes to England and is trying to learn English. Each chapter starts with a definition from her Chinese-English dictionary, and the term or phrase defined then comes up in the chapter. One example is the word "guest", which an English guy then uses, saying "be my guest" and she takes it literally, with interesting results.

Obviously this isn't just about language but also about culture. I was interested to find that she needed to learn the English niceties - e.g. he offers her a cup of tea, she says, no, I don't want tea, I want coffee; which to English ears sounds brash, so he teaches her to say things like, I'd love a cup of coffee. This is interesting to me as an Israeli, as we also don't have these niceties. My husband once asked me how to say in Hebrew "What would you like to drink?" - we don't; we say, What do you want? (or more likely, just "Coffee?")

Anyway, I urge you to read this book - for very selfish reasons, as only if enough people buy it will it ever get published in paperback. :-)
Post actions:

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:25 am

Sounds good. You just increased the competition for the paperback.
Post actions:

Re: A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers by Xiaolu Gu

Post by Berale » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:34 am

At last, the moment you've all been waiting for - this book is now available in paperback. (And I've got it!)
Post actions:
Signature: Meirav
http://meirav.multiply.com

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:42 pm

Berale wrote:At last, the moment you've all been waiting for - this book is now available in paperback. (And I've got it!)
When can I borrow it?

My library is full of other people's books.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:58 pm

Bobinwales wrote:My library is full of other people's books.
If you have my copy of "Metaphors we live by" or "Future Shock", then bloody send them back!
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:15 pm

What color was your "Future Shock"?
Post actions:

Post by crisalex » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:29 pm

Hey frndz I wanna learn english online plz suggest me any site…
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:24 pm

Go here.
Post actions:

Post by aslamwalii » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:50 pm

This was interesting.

[url=http://dictionary.urduwire.com]urduwire dictionary[/url]
Post actions:

End of topic.