Diaspora , Greg Egan

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Diaspora , Greg Egan

Post by Ed P » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:55 pm

From a pevious post, this reads well although being in the genre sci fi and written by an Australian (some people instantly have two blocks for that and wont read it) but I have lent it to people who will not read sci-fi on principle and they have thoroughly enjoyed it.

It doesnt matter, his books normally have huge ideas and shock containment that works for an averagely with it person, despite this you still get Whoa! run that past me again? moments.

This predates the matrix as an artificial environment but is consistent and low key. The concept draws on several sources prior efforts including poul anderson, philip k dick michael moorcock and many many more. It is more than the sum of parts and brings up some fundamental points about the the nature of consciousness.
(I loaned this to an indian friend and thats when I discovered he was Buddhist from the discussion that followed)

not going to spoil it, so minimum: a man and his lover/wife/ partner under threat end up being scanned into a machine environment and find that it is open to threats outside the simulated environment ones, do they win? read it. very engaging and direct apart from the initial concepts.
bests Ed
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Diaspora , Greg Egan

Post by Shelley » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:28 pm

Ed P, I'm curious to know what other science fiction authors you recommend. I've read a few: Bradbury, Heinlein, Niven, Pournelle, LeGuin, Anderson -- Herbert, Ellison, Asimov, Lessing, the biggies, you know. My son read one for a class -- Ender's Game -- I forget the author, but the story was really good. Years ago, I read one called The Sheep Look Up which had some things in it I've never, ever forgotten -- however, I have forgotten the author.
As far as refusing to read any particular genre "on principle" -- hm, well, it CAN simplify one's life, I suppose!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Diaspora , Greg Egan

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:55 pm

A quick googling showed that The Sheep Look Up is by John Brunner, and Ender's Game was written by Orson Scott Card.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Diaspora , Greg Egan

Post by kagriffy » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:50 pm

My daughter introduced me to Orson Scott Card, by way of "Ender's Game" 6 years ago, when she was 14. I have since read just about every OSC book I can get my hands on. He is a Sci-Fi genius, although I actually liked his "Alvin Maker" series best (it's more fantasy than true Sci-Fi).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

Diaspora , Greg Egan

Post by Shelley » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:49 pm

Ah, yes -- John Brunner . . . Orson Scott Card. It all comes back to me, now. Thanks, Erik Kowal for doing my homework for me.
Guess Ender's Game is on the curriculum for young adults in the USA, eh, kagriffy? I'll add OSC to my list.
Thanks, all, for the -- hey what happened to A E Vogt, or whatever his/her name is? gdwdwrkr?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Diaspora , Greg Egan

Post by gdwdwrkr » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:43 am

A E van Vogt :
The Silkie
It sure was good in '72.
For $0.01 (plus $3.49 shipping)
I'm about to find out if it is still good.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Diaspora , Greg Egan

Post by kagriffy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:19 am

Actually, Shelley, my daughter read "Ender's Game" for recreation. I'm not really sure how she heard about it. (Since she has always been an avid reader, she probably just found it in a library or book store and decided to read it.) I just remember being proud that all my years of reading Sci-Fi had finally rubbed off on her! (Of course, I still can't get her interested in Star Trek [Live long and prosper!], but you can't win them all!) She seems more drawn to the fantasy than hard-core Sci-Fi, but then again, I lean that way frequently, too. She and I now recommend books for each other quite often. (She also got me hooked on "Harry Potter" and the entire "Narnia" series!) She has even read "The Mists of Avalon" by MZB, but I can't seem to get her interested in the Darkover novels yet. I'll have to keep trying!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

Diaspora , Greg Egan

Post by spiritus » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:47 am

Kagriffy and Shelley,
I recommend specifically for you both, the works of Octavia Butler. If you have read or ever read any of her books, please post your reviews here. I'm particularly interested in your opinions of her book(s). Thank you.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Che Baraka

Diaspora , Greg Egan

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:14 am

.. my contribution would be Jack Vance .. a wordsmith who is economical with his words and ideas .. his careful selection of phrases heightens the suspense and extends the image .. you might try the Planet of Adventure series that includes City of The Chasch, Servants of The Wankh, The Dirdir and The Pnume .. also The Durdane Trilogy .. and if you want to move genre then his Fantasy writings are just as great .. The Dying Earth series and Lyonesse ..

WoZ of Aus 25/07/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC