Are we there yet?

We've created this area in the hope of seeing material ranging from some well-told (or well retold) jokes to original writing with a humorous slant, or anything else that might appeal to the kind of person who enjoys playing with words more than people. That probably means someone like yourself. N.B. -- Postings preceded by ** contain some sexual or risqué content. (Makes them easier to find.)

Are we there yet?

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 pm

Mum: We've got a long road trip ahead of us.
Me: Where are we going?
Mum: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.
Me: Why have we stopped?
Mum: We've arrived.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Are we there yet?

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:17 am

Then we went into a restaurant and asked the waitress how to pronounce the name of where we were.
She said, "Burrrgerr Kiingg".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Dunkeld » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:24 am

Erik_Kowal wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 pm
Mum: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.
Once I have been there.
Reminds me of this long German word: Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän

Or even longer: Donau­dampfschifffahrts­elektrizitäten­hauptbetriebswerk­bauunterbeamten­gesellschaft
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:46 pm

Welcome Dunkeld, or can I call you Paul? Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch translates as, "The Church of St Mary's in the hollow of the white hazel near to the fierce whirlpool of St Tysilio of the red cave".
And your examples mean?
I have not been to Germany since 1972, I stayed in Oberursel, visited Frankfurt of course and spent a day in Leonberg near Stuttgart, where I met the parents of a young lady who had spent a year in Wales... I am sure you understand!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Dunkeld » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:51 pm

Bobinwales wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:46 pm

I have not been to Germany since 1972, I stayed in Oberursel, visited Frankfurt of course and spent a day in Leonberg near Stuttgart, where I met the parents of a young lady who had spent a year in Wales... I am sure you understand!
Yes, I do understand! :)

And yes, you can call me Paul. :)

About Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän:

It could be translated as: "Captain of the Danube Steam Shipping Company."
But maybe such a company and such a title never existed - maybe the word was just made up. :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC